SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texjagman

Conifer Websites Drive Me Crazy !!

texjagman
14 years ago

OK, heres what drives me crazy about the various species and all these great informational websitesÂÂ.

I was looking at possibly changing out one of my planned trees for a different species. In order to make a reasonable decision I needed to know for sure what to expect on size and shape of the tree. So I Googled - Sciadopitys verticillata 'Joe Kozey'. The following is a sampling of what I got back :

From Iseli - "Narrower than the species, 'Joe Kozey' is an extraordinary cultivar that stands out from the rest. It withstands snow loads much better because its branches are sturdier and they are held more tightly to the trunk than other types. At maturity, the slow-growing Umbrella Pine becomes a large, spire-like tree."  They went on to picture a tall columnar tree and had it classified as a "Large" tree which for them I'm sure means significant size  20-30 and above at maturity

The next site - "One of these pyramidal options is ÂJoe Kozey Japanese umbrella pine (Sciadopitys verticillata ÂJoe KozeyÂ, Zones 5Â9). It has rubberlike needles and an intense yellow color in the shade. It grows moderatelyÂputting on only 4 to 6 inches of new growth each year, reaching just 6 feet tall and 3 feet wide at maturity, so it can fit into any-size garden. Deer tend to avoid this tree when other options are available. For the best success, site ÂJoe Kozey in moist but well-drained soil and partial shade." - So suddenly this is a true dwarf tree at 6 mature??

And the next - "An unusually narrow upright evergreen conifer. Branches remain close to the trunk and can better withstand snowload. Attractive long green needles; cones resemble sequoia. Prefers sun/partial shade in well-drained soil. 7' tall x 2' wide in 10 years. Hardy to -30 degrees. USDA zone 4." Â Sounds close to Iseli.

And finally - "This rare slow growing conifer will add a touch of class to your garden. Leaves appear in whorls at the end of twigs -like the ribs of an umbrella. Unusual plant, sure to draw the question "What is it?" Slow growing and difficult to propagate. It grows 3-5Â in ten years. Awards: Award of Merit and Award of Garden Merit from the Royal Horticultural Society. Recommended by: United States National Arboretum." Â another basic dwarf sizing description and this time doesnÂt tell me what shape to expect at all.

So what IÂm left with is 3 out of 4 say it is a columnar shaped tree and not pyramidalÂso IÂm going with that. For size, if I take IseliÂs normal range based on that description I would guess the 10 year size at about 8-10Â and the potential mature of 20-30Â. The next says itÂs a dwarf at 6+ feet at maturity. The third agrees pretty close to Iseli at 7Â + at 10 years. And finally, the last says 3-5Â in 10 years which implies a dwarf 10-12Â mature tree.

So whatÂs a person to do, average them all. This tells me it could be short or tall, and thin, not thin. It drives me nuts because you run into this all the time. Sorry, I guess itÂs just a rant kinda day for meÂÂ..

mark

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022