SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wisconsitom

My larches had a baby!

wisconsitom
14 years ago

Some may recall my mention of two Larix decidua I planted near our office some years back. They have grown very well in a normal, well-drained full sun site.

Last year, the large mulch rings underneath these trees had pretty much withered away to bare dirt, and I saw several seedlings there. I had intended to harvest these, grow them on a bit, and then move them up north to my forest planting. But the entire site got re-mulched before I could do so, beyond my control. Oh well.

Fast-forward to yesterday. I was doing some work in that area, which includes a large perennial garden and much other mixed landscaping. I do work here often as it is our showcase bed and busy office entrance with many members of the public coming often to register their kids for various programs, etc. So I was surprised to see a nice 1-foot-tall larch seedling that I had somehow missed previously, growing in amongst a low-growing juniper planting. This is now in a pot, awaiting transplant on my land.

I have there already, many hybrid larch and some native Larix laricinia, but this new baby has special significance for me. Not to mention, I really love to see and find conifer volunteers. In this same fashion, I have two Picea pungens found in a park sign mixed bed last year growing up there.

No big deal really, but it is exciting for me!

+oM

Comments (9)