SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fortisi876

Cutting Performance- How are YOURS holding up?

FO876
16 years ago

Hello my fig growers!

With the 30+ cuttings Ive been attemtping to grow this season, I was just curious on how well or poorly everyone else is doing this season from all regions in and outside the USA.

Rather than bore everyone on how each cutting is doing Ill share on how the two extreme ends are performing.

By far my best cuttings in terms of surviving and rapid growth have to be 'my own unknown fig cuttings'. I dont know what it is about this variety but the thing takes/grows like a weed.

Last fall I had cut a 12 inch cutting off my uncles white unknown, tossed it in the fridge and bagged it last month, both took nicely and have since moved them into clear cups.

Cuttings that I have had little or no success with are the folowing:

- Quarter Pounder:

had 4 cuttings, 3 [bag]rooted well, only two continued growth in clear cups, then pretty much died when transitioned into 1 gal pots.....last one is almost dead but still hopeful.

- Black Marseilles:

had 4 cuttings, one died, the other two are potted and are holding on by the skin of their teeth, last one still in fridge.

- Petit Negronne:

I received 2 cuttings, one rooted the other bare. The rooted one has flourished nicely, thus far, but the bare cutting died after being moved into the clear cup stage.

All bare cuttings were bagged, then moved to clear cups for further root development and then moved into pots.

Here are some rooted cuttings/trees that were given to me that I had no success with:

- Brooklyn White:

This one was given to me by George in a pot last fall and unfortunately was half dead by spring time.

- Rocco White:

this is my uncles unknown white variety (light green skin, amber flesh the largest fig Ive seen in the USA...reminded me of my grandpa's fig tree in Sicily) which was taken off his mother tree (about 5 yrs old), it was about 2 seasons old but had little root structure attached to it when it was removed, I think this is the main reason why its not taking. The other two rooted trees he gave me are blossoming nicely.

Let's hear from the rest of you?!?!?..........especially those of you who have received MY unknown cuttings!!!

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH