SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mommyinzion

How are your pre-finished wood floors holding up?

mommyinzion
10 years ago

We live in a home that had knotty maple sand and finish floors installed in it. We had to install additional wood floor and refinished everything 4 years ago. When we refinished it we got a Swedish finish, which is supposed to be the toughest finish out there. We had a really reputable installer that I know did as good of job as I would ever expect.

Our floors get heavy use with a large family of young boys and in general, I've been disappointed with how well the floors have held up. Within 2 years, we saw plenty of dents, the putty in the cracks was coming up, and the finish was wearing.

Screening the floor, which is significantly less than a full refinish will take care of the finish, but not solve the dents and putty. To get a full refinish in my area is at least $2/sq. ft. from a good company.

Even if I refinish my floors every 5 years and live with them looking worn for half of the time, the cost associated with that is a lot of money for 800 sq. ft.

I'm seriously considering ripping them out and installing hand scraped pre-finished floors. I know the industry touts the aluminum oxide finish, but if it only lasts 10 years, then I'm probably not much better off. I know it says 50 year finish, but I'm sure that's for a family that would give much lighter use than us.

I'm wondering if those with pre-finished floor with heavy use, if they are happy with how their floor is holding up.

Comments (9)