SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobfincham

Cultivated Conifers

bobfincham
16 years ago

I enjoy reading the conifer forums as my time allows but my schedule seldom allows time for posting. However, I have recently noticed some misinformation on a recent forum and since many newcomers often visit these forums, I felt I needed to comment.

I am heavily into conifer cultivars, and where I have room, I also enjoy a number of the species. I have created a number of specialty gadens on my property that could not be done without planting cultivars to give me the colors and shapes to create a naturalized setting in miniature. I have many species conifers for backdrops and also to create an upper canopy where desired. On 5 acres (@2 hectares) I have the space to do all of this.

Witches' brooms and their seedlings allow me to have a nice selection to find what fit my needs.

Point #1: Witches' brooms that develop from pathogens do not propagate. Garden selections are genetic variants and will not spread any pathogens from one country to another.

Point # 2: Most conifers are restricted from entry into Europe from the United States and visa versa so even if there were pathogens, they would not get from one country to another except illegally.

I have golden and blue conifers throughout my gardens. I greatly enjoy the color schemes I can create with them. I will take them over flowers any day of the year. Especially since I can enjoy these colors 24/7/365.

Point #3: Golden conifers do carry on photosynthesis, the chlorophyll just isn't all that apparent. Often the photosynthesis is at a reduced rate leading to slower growth, which is great for the smaller garden.

Point #4: Cultivars are produced by the thousands and millions. Mainly Thuja occidentalis 'Smaragd' and Picea glauca 'Conica' are produced in these quantities and I wonder where they sell them all. Tens of thousands of dwarf mugo pines are produced every year but they are all seedlings that are sold as cultivars. The majority of conifer cultivars are produced in annual numbers of less than a few hundred. Most of the rest are produced in numbers of a few thousand that are sold throughout a nation with millions of homes. Monoculture is a bigger problem in areas of reforestation and Christmas tree plantations where pathogens can run riot. The average garden using dwarf conifers will be able to have a mix of species leading away from monoculture and greater diversity of species in a given area.

Point #5: People like conifers that produce cones and many of the dwarf conifers do. Often there is no viable seed but that is not always the case. Pinus strobus 'Coney Island', itself a seedling from a witches' broom, is a very freely coning selection. Pinus strobus 'Horsham' produces viable seed. Syd Waxman collected seed from hundreds of witches' brooms to produce more than 100,000 seedlings in his test gardens. Abies koreana 'Gait' is a prolific cone producer. Picea abies 'Pusch' and Picea pungens 'Early Cones' produce cones. Many of the dwarfs do not produce cones, but a blanket statement to that effect is incorrect.

I am prejudiced in favor of cultivars because I focus on conifers for the garden. I don't try to change anyone's mind who is focused on species and I never criticize them for that focus. The home garden is an aberration from nature since the home garden focuses on cultivars in many different plant families and genera which can't compete against the army of native and introduced weeds that choke them out if they are not controlled. It is a special setting that needs conifer cultivars and most people agree or we would not have so many lawns and perennial borders.

Healthy discussions are good, but lets not state personal opinions as if they are facts.

Bob

Comments (13)