SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jsmix_gw

emerald green arborvitaes, dense shade, replacment shrub.

JSMix
9 years ago

Hello. I have used this site for a few years now as a great resource for information. I am unable to find an answer to my most recent problem so I thought I would try making my own post.

The rear of our house faces an alley that gets very little auto traffic but a lot of pedestrian traffic. I wanted to create a privacy screen with evergreens and our local big box store had 5'-6' emerald green arborvitaes marked down to $20.00 so I seized the opportunity.

This is my first home and actually my first experience with planting shrubs. Had I done adequate research prior to purchasing/planting I would not have planted this variety of a shrub as my shade is must denser than the advised (full sun to light shade). That said...

We have had the arborvitaes planted for roughly 6 months now. A large portion of them are doing very well with a fair amount of growth and retaining their green color.

My problem. If you look at photo I have uploaded ( http://i.imgbox.com/8c7oIJBc.jpg ) you will see my layout. My neighbors have several very large trees that border the property line. I believe the trees are giving so much shade and possible draining all the ground of water that the arborvitaes in the corner have either died or are dying. I actually have replaced two already and a third is dying. Looking at the picture it is the the first, second and third shrub from the right.

I have already trimmed as much of the tree as I can on my side (with neighbors approval), this was enough to give adequate sunlight to allow shade tolerant grass to grow but I do not think it helped the shrubs.

My question - Do you know of any shrubs that have a similar look of an emerald green and are heavy shade tolerant that I could plant in the last three positions that are dying (or have died)? I know it will not be a perfect match, I just want something to grow in that area to provide privacy and a consistent hedge row.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Having my neighbor trim his whole tree is not an option. Though the trees are crowding each other and and could greatly use some trimming its not going to happen.

Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (8)