SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

first year grafts and winter issues

i got quite a deal on some first year grafts ... just got them ...

how would you deal with them???

just plant them out???

pot them and polebarn them??? moving them in say.. january.. if i can avoid breaking a toe... trying to dislodge a pot frozen to mother earth.. been there.. darn near done that.. lol ...

cold z5 MI ... where i had a z4 winter last year .. and hold no hope.. for anything mild this year ... [lot of optimism there.. lol]

a third option would be to pot them up ... and simply tip them over.. just before snow fall.. and let snow blanket them ... if only i could be sure of said insulators depth ...

i think.. my biggest fears .. are harsh winter wind desiccating them [the greenery rather than a root concern] .... and mid winter thaw.. with pot thaw .. following by dropping back under zero within a few days... what i call ..... going in and out of dormancy ... [the root concern] ....

give it your best shot.. what would you do.. in my area ... speculate .. i dont care...

one thing for sure.. they have to go into the ground.. or a proper pot .. by this weekend ...

what do some of you home grafters do with this type of stuff?????

ken

ps: when i was new to my learning curve.. a decade back or so ... i lost on this type of situation [i think i put them in my nursery bed...] ... but one would think .. i should know a little more now.. but the bad memories are making me hesitate ...

pps: another option would be a BAP .. as arrowhead bob used to call them ... fill with wood chips... and leave them in the pots they are in.. and hoik that sucker into the polebarn.. done that before ... big azz pot ... BAP ... lol ... and hit it with some snow once in a while .... to keep some level of moisture....

Comments (11)