SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
divamum_gw

Introduction and some questions

divamum
16 years ago

Hi!

I'm a newish gardener in Zone 7, trying to figure out what to do with a shady front yard. I love the cottage garden look, as well as being something of a "low maintenance" gardener.... in other words, once I've put plants in the ground, I kind of like them to take care of themselves as much as possible. I'm a working mom with weird hours, so I just don't have a lot of time to keep up with serious maintenance.

Our yard was badly neglected by the previous owner, an elderly woman, who I swear hadn't done ANYTHING to it in 40 years or more. I've spent the last two years simply trying to get it down to neutral - we're almost there in that the ivy is at least contained to the sides, we've just had the big old elm trimmed both for safety and to increase light a bit, and we're starting to experiment with adding some plants. It has a couple of azalea bushes - they love this part of the world, it seems! - and I've got an Endless Summer hydrangea to plant out there as soon as I can decide where it will get enough sun (the yard is trees on both sides - there is some dappled sun here and there, but that's about it), and this afternoon I put in a couple of strawberry Floxgloves - i'd love for them either to last forever or self seed, but I guess that would be hoping for too much...

In any case, any easy-care, cottage flower suggestions? I admit that at the moment I'm throwing things into the ground pretty haphazardly kind of just to see what will happen - my theory is that if it works, I will get a "messy" cottage look by default; if it doesn't, I'm at least learning as I go!

Many thanks - great resource!

Comments (4)

Sponsored