SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bradybbb

Introduction and rainwater use question for blueberries

Bradybb WA-Zone8
12 years ago

Hello everyone,

This is my first post.I live in Redmond,Washington,about 15 miles east of Seattle.

I've decided to grow blueberries and have been scouring the net for information and found this site.I've gone back about 20 pages reading articles and comments,Very good!

Since June I have acquired and planted 19 bushes in the ground and pots.They range from about 1-3 years.Most are Northern Highbush,but have 3 Tophats as a novelty.I'm adding 1 more,a Spartan because I read the fruit is superb.

I went to a local nursery when first starting and bought some of their planting mix as they recommended,but found later making my own was the way to go.So for future plantings I used Sphagnum peat moss and some compost.Recently I found some mulch at Home Depot called Soil Pep from Mountain Magic whose ingredients are listed as Western Fir and Pine bark and it sells for about $4 per 1.5 cf bag.The last few plantings were done in pots with peat and coir that Home Depot sells as Beats Peat,which I think is excellent for water retention.I put 2 Reka's in pots today with the Soil Pep,coir, a little compost,sulfur and Cottonseed meal.All plants are healthy looking so far,with berries on some.

The question I have about rainwater is that the roof is flat and is tar type material.When I collected some in a bucket,the water was a light yellowish brown.Even after running it through an old Brita filter it didn't change much.Now I won't drink water like that myself,although I did taste it,it wasn't foul,but can blueberry plants process something like this?The tap water here is about 7.2 pH and the rainwater measured a little under 6.I have been mixing a little vinegar with tap for the regular waterings.By the way,two main nurseries around here don't put much importance on keeping the pH low,something that ought to make harvestman happy.

Also,fruitnut has me intrigued about Sweetcrisp.Maybe I'll see if they can grow here.That's all for now.Thanks,Brady

Comments (10)