SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

shaping scion for grafting

can someone post a picture.. or a link.. on how to properly shape a piece of scion ... and the attendant cut on the understock ...

i said the following to a good friend .. and am looking for help in either describing it all .. or correcting any mis-information i may have provided:

get a pencil ... make a peace sign... tilt you middle finger vertical ... insert pencil eraser down between the two fingers ... this is what you had ... close fingers.. big gap under ...

now.. reverse pencil.. sharp end down .... close index finger... see how the index finger easily closed on the point ... and you arent having to deal with figuring out how to wrap the flap around the bottom ..

gee also stated.. as you draw the cut down the trunk.. go in a little deep as you go down ... so that the scion bottom.. is actually IN wood.. it actually is a small platform to hold the scion.. well the tissue heals ... not much mind you.. just a bit ... he also.. once the scion was sharpened .. made a nice cut straight across the bottom ...

so .. in other words.. your cuts on both the trunk.. and the scion.. simply went down.. and you made the cut.. instead of 'shaping' the scion piece .. and instead of making a platform on the trunk ...

the scion.. should be very thin at the bottom .. and look somewhat like a carpenters shim in miniature ...

====

i know its simplistic.. let us know how you would improve the words ... and pix or a link .. i bet that shiny nickle.. someone has a good link ...

ken

Comments (2)