SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
recoil_rob

Thought on my first time repotting....

recoil_rob
14 years ago

About 6-7 years ago I took my three small trees out of their plastic 1-2 gal. pots and put them into some of those cheap Rubbermaid tubs.

{{gwi:780100}}

I didn't know much except that they needed drainage so I just threw in a bunch of potting soil with some rocks and pebbles at the bottom. Needless to say my crop has decreased every year until last year I had no fruits at all. Our family crest is a black thumb so I decided it was time to do it right.

I want to thank everyone here, especially Al, (tapla) for all the help and advice that came together this afternoon.

First, it took about 2 weeks of calling around and several trips to different places to assemble the necessary ingredients.

As far as pots, I went to a few different places to find some 55gal plastic drums (see my post about getting them from car washes). I got two from carwashes, cut them down and power washed the interiors. Still I wasn't sure id the detergent residue was all gone so in the end I found new ones for $32 each, and cut them in half for 4 pots. Worth the peace of mind. I found the easiest way to cut them was to mark them around the middle, connect the dots with a strip of masking tape and them use a jig saw to cut them in half along the tape line. I drilled 16 3/4" holes in the bottom of each, the best tool for this is a step drill bit, fast and clean. Get one that goes up to 7/8". I also drilled two holes in the side of each pot for rope handles.

I got my pine bark mulch, lime and some coarse Perlite (about 1/8-1/4") from one garden supply, and my Turface MVP from a John Deere Landscape Store (google John Deere Landscape and find one near you). The hardest to find was the Gran-I-Grit (grower size) but I called the manufacturer who put me in touch with the distributor for my area, who put me in touch with several dealers, and the closest to me ordered some bags ad I had them the next day.

I used Al's mixture, equal parts pine bark mulch and Turface, but instead of using an equal part of Gran-I-Grit I used half Gran-I-Grit and half Perlite, for weight saving. So my mixture was

2 parts pine bark mulch

2 parts Turface MVP

1 part Gran-I-Grit grower size

1 part coarse Perlite

Since my containers were 27.5gal. I used 6 5gal. pails of material.

Pine bark mulch comes in 3cu,ft bags, each bag will give you about 22gal.

The worst part was screening the Turface and the grit. I used aluminum window screen.

A 50 pound bag of Turface MVP, screened out yields 10gals. (out of each bag I got about 2 qts of fine particles which I saved).

A 50 bag of Gran-I-Grit yields 5 gals.

The Perlite comes in 6cu.Ft bags, about 30 gals.

We made three separate batches, each one using

just under half a bag of mulch

a bag of Turface

a bag of grit

5gal. Perlite

Since the total batch is 30gal. and 1tbl. of lime is needed per gal. that's 30 tbls., or exactly 2 cups of lime.

Everything was measured out and mixed on a tarp.

Pulling the trees out of the old pots was scary, I chopped off a lot of small hairy roots, some of the bigger roots had grown round in a ring a couple of times. Everything was trimmed back, put in the new pots with the soil and thoroughly watered.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus