SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marcia_m

cold hardy shrub questions

marcia_m
12 years ago

I'm back in North Port. The low here was 29 at least one night while we were away, possibly two nights. As expected, there are brown leaves on several plants but I expect most to return in the spring. I was surprised that my 'Golden Goddess' bamboo lost all its leaves and the outer leaves of the agapanthus froze. I thought they were more cold hardy.

I'd like to replace the cordyline and dracaena plants used as foundation plantings in the front of the house because they've suffered significant freeze damage for the last 3 winters. Even though they come back, they aren't pretty for several months. The house faces northeast and I'm thinking about Japanese pittosporum, jasmine, "Trinette" variegated dwarf schefflera, maybe nandina. The window on that half of the house is about 3 feet from ground level but there is room for a taller shrub on either side of the window.

The sand/soil here is fill and I think it's pretty alkaline (I find chunks of limestone/shell rock when digging), so although I'd love azaleas, hollies, loropetalum or other acid loving plants, I am worried they would just become chlorotic in a short time.

Any other shrub suggestions, or pros and cons of those I've mentioned? I appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Marcia

Comments (11)