SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
figfarmer_gw

Sun, shade and late freeze....

figfarmer
14 years ago

As it all pertains to the setting of figs. This really hasn't been talked about in detail. I'm in my 6th year of growing fig trees. Zone 9a (northern California. Elevation 2000 feet). Still just a hobby, so far. Most of my trees are in 5 gallon nursery pots. I am potting my best tres up to 15 gallon pots. Many have grown as high as 8 feet tall in the 5 gal pots. All are very healthy looking, very green and vibrant. My problem is that I have alot of pine trees all over my property. Most are from 40 feet to 100 feet high. Most of my trees get at least 4-5 hours of sun. Some get less. Temps are usually in the high 80's to mid 90's this time of year. This year, so far, none of my black fig trees (about 250) have any figs on them. My green and yellow fig trees have a few, at best. Last year, they were all doing alot better in their production. We did have a freeze back in mid April, after the trees broke dormancy. Anyone else in California having problems with low fig count?? Is it time to start setting my trees all over my lawn (where the sun does shine all day long). I bet Talpa and Pit have some good input on this subject. I am getting frustrated, this year, with about 350 trees from 4 feet to 9 feet and only a handfull of figs. What is the answer guys (and girls). Regards, FF

Comments (6)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio