SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john13_gw

What is a Cottage Garden?

john13
16 years ago

I think this is the kind of garden I have. But I want to know what you think the definition for cottage gardening is.

I love tons of flowers, have found some old reliables (like daylilies) but am in-love with English delphiniums (I don't care if I have to stake them!) I am a plant collector to try out new ones I haven't tried before.

Last summer I bought lots of daylilies. This summer it is many fragrant roses and some beauties that aren't that fragrant and lots of clematis too. Oh, where does it stop! This spring I bought a beautiful mockorange 'Innocence'. Gradually the lawn is being taken over by flower beds.

I plant bulbs for spring beauty and then perennials phase in and out over the seasons. Theses include salvias, peach-leaved bellflowers, platycodon, catmint, geraniums 'Brookside' and 'Rozanne', threadleaf coreopsis, shasta daisies, purple coneflowers, heuchera, asters, lilies, dahlias, black-eyed susans, etc, etc. I have a beautiful fall display that lasts until the winter really sets in. For us in the PNW that means late Oct or November and lots of rain.

So what is Cottage gardening really??

Karen

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County