SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengimp

Starting seeds under light

gardengimp
13 years ago

Take Two - so after some feedback from you all; most especially Bamboo (thanks!) - I've made some changes; and I'm coming here for a sanity check because that growing under lights forum makes my head spin.

First - my goal - start seeds in the garage and move them outside as soon as they are more able to withstand the onslaughts of rain and squirrels. Also, to be able to keep plants going that otherwise might not like the current outside temperature; for example - OMG do we ever miss our Thai Basil!

The garage is 'finished' and insulated; as well enclosed on the top; south and west sides. The east side wall has a large window. This is a morning natural light view; granted the north facing garage door is open:

We've added a second light fixture; and lowered them; as well put them on chains so they are very adjustable.

I've set the (mechanical) timer for 16 hours, and the stuff I most want to grow is centered; thought I do have more stuff along the edges that don't really get ideal light.

My questions at this point are: just how much does the east exposure morning sun account for additional light fixtures? I would hope for at least one or two 4' strips. Is that reasonable?

Also, the ends - I have a flood light system that I have used for natural fill light for photography - would it benefit to put one each of those at opposite ends of my set up - considering that if the shelf space exists I will probably use it?

Also .... I'm using this now to start seeds during the winter for spring planting. Because the garage is warmer than outdoors. Thinking ahead - in July the garage is cooler than outdoors; so will I be using the garage in July to start fall seedlings? thinking out loud about how much effort and $$ to put into a temporary lighting system Oh, and ... how do I put this? The garage circuit is at full capacity and the circuit breaker box is full. So when my in-laws pull in with their toybox; I suspect there may be no auxiliary lights in the garage; as the RV outlet is on the garage circuit. I don't really know all that much about how to determine that .....

Thoughts? Ideas? Input?

Thanks all!

~dianne

Comments (3)