SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spruceman

Arborvitae drought tolerance

spruceman
14 years ago

During my visit to the Va Arboretum yesterday I saw two young Thuja plicata "atrovirens" growing on a dry south facing slope where other trees struggle. These were as lush and green as could be. And this summer--since very early August, at least, has been unusually dry. All the grass around here is mostly brown now.

So, is Thuja plicata especially drought tolerant? Thuja plicata in its native range usually grow on sites that are not drought prone, if not generally rather moist. Could we have a case a little like the bald cypress, that usually grow in swamps, but does well on dry sites?

I have two T. plicatas growing on my yard near Winchester, VA., and they are showing no stress at all either.

And finally, I have Green Giants that are doing well also. They did stop growing early this year, but they look fine.

And what about T. occidentalis, the so-called northern whitecedar. It seems these may be drought tolerant as well.

So, what have you folks observed? Thoughts? It has been so dry recently I have had to water a lot of stuff. A lot of my trees, even thouse that I planted 5 years ago or more, are showing stress. But it is difficult to water everything. I have not watered any of my Thujas. Should I when we have a severe drought? Or can I leave them be, as I do my Norway spruce and the more established oaks, etc.?

--Spruce

Comments (9)