SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xcaret_gw

taking swedish aspen cuttings now...?

14 years ago

Here in Calgary most swedish aspens are not in bud yet,I'm interested in taking some last years growth and with rooting hormone planting it this week..

Would it be better to wait a month or 2 and get this years growth and leave a couple of leaves on them? My book on poplars explains cutting the leaves in half and only leave 2 or 3 leaves on.. Last year I did this in large coffee cups and let them freeze .in late Feb I brought them inside and put them under a florescent grow lite ( with my tomatoes seeds) and several buds opened up only to die of lack of nutrients as they had no roots ( I discovered ).I have one that is growing ,but I think it mat be a choke cherry variety,it;s bud opened under ground and came up beside the stem,Its been doing ok for about 3 weeks now so I think it must have rooted..My swedish aspens all died .

I'd like advise on planting swedish aspens .,my propagation book doesnt mention them ,but for poplars says to take cttings in mid winter ,drive a hole into the ground 3 feet or so and put the 5 foot cutting into it .They obviously have never tried this in mid winter in Calgary.The ground is frozen like rock.. It is just now mostly thawed ..

Any advise will be appreciated .

Neil

Neil

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz