SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keesha2006

garden shoes/scuffs Poll

keesha2006
17 years ago

ok, this morning I put on my garden scuffs..and to my dismay, they were still wet and yucky from yesterdays work.... I am considering a pair of those funky garden plastic dutch looking shoes as a result....if people can wear them to a resturant these days..I can wear them in the garden right? :) So..this is my question..or rather maybe a poll?

How many people wear those rubber shoes.....or..what do you wear might be a better question...

Are they hot and sweaty?

Do they offer much support...I have bad arches...curious how they might feel..

Do I need to spend good money on a good brand..or do the cheapies work just as well? And if I do need to..what brand is your fav?

What do you think of them as a fashion statement?

And this is the biggie.....Am I the only silly gardener who wanders outside in pj's to see what might be blooming this morning..ends up pulling a few weeds and messing a bit...? My neighbors I am sure talk about that silly lady who often gardens in jamies....Please someone tell me I am not the only one?

Comments (47)

• keesha2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ok, I will go first...

Right now, I wear a pair of beat up keds that have the open back..my former pair of good summer scuffs..

I don't know if they are hot but they sure look like they could be..but..if they were wet the next day, it would be a bonus for sure..

my arches are bad. I limp when I wear my garden shoes to much..I really need a good pair of walking shoes with good support..but I love the scuffs to kick off when I sit down or go in the house..so Instead of being smart and getting walking shoes..I wear scuffs..

I have seen them in price from 8 bucks to 25.....

As a fashion statement, I think they are silly..I wanted to chuckle when I see them. A few days ago, I saw a pretty little blonde haired girl about 5 or 6..little pink sundress with her pretty blonde hair and curls..and BRIGHT orange garden shoes..It ruined the cherub look...... sorry :( Thumbs down for me..but to each their own.

and the last..I don't garden in my jamies on purpose..I just kinda get sucked in when I wander....

• FlowerLady6
    17 years ago

I wear a pair of boys hiking shoes, a size 5 I think. I bought them after I had sprained both ankles and needed some support. We live in hot and humid s.e. FL and I wear long pants and socks and my hiking shoes when I garden, and a top of course, usually a cotton button up type. I sweat and I can't stand grass, dirt etc. sticking to me so that's why the long pants. I've read about gardeners who have CROC's, but I can't see spending that kind of $ for them. I really like wearing my hiking shoes. Very well made and comfortable. I think they were around $20 at the most, at Payless several years ago. Of course, as soon as I come in off they come. My feet like room and hate being squished into any kind of shoe. Inside I'm barefoot all the time. I've gone out in a nightie or two to check the gardens. Fortunately for me, we have privacy fencing all around.

Hope you find some great gardening shoes that give you the support you need and can handle getting mucked up.

FlowerLady

• Related Discussions

Poll: Do your bedroom night stands match?

Q

Comments (49)
    oceanna, Two words: reciprocating saw. :-) Move as much as you can into another room, cover everything else with dropcloths and/or old sheets, and have at it. We've had to take furniture out in pieces a few times. About 10 years ago we had an enormously-heavy sleeper loveseat from the 60s that DH and his two brothers somehow bent the space-time continuum to get up into our third-floor apartment (top floor of a mid-1800s three-flat), but there was NO way it was getting back down. We disassembled it with a crowbar and hammer and hucked the pieces out the window, which really confused the downstairs neighbors. :-) It was a pity that we had to render it unusable for someone else when I would rather have put it out on the curb as we lived in a very poor neighborhood and it would have been snatched up in a matter of minutes even in its worn-out state, but it had become pretty much unusable for us too and the apartment was far too small to blow that much space on something that couldn't be used - the living room was just barely big enough for one full-size futon couch (moved in and out disassembled), one chair, and a tv stand! That was it! Anyway, if you detach the plywood-box section from the headboard (and footboard if there is one), it is more likely that the headboard(/footboard) could be removed intact and reusable - if you post them on Craigslist, just specify that they are extremely heavy so people should be prepared to bring along help. Cut the plywood into smaller sections that can be moved, although a circular saw would probably be easier for that part. If you/your son aren't up to doing this yourself, hiring a handyman (through Craigslist? heehee) to do the cutting-up and lugging shouldn't be too awfully expensive especially if you don't go through one of those dreadful overpriced franchises. You'll have some cleaning to do in the bedroom but it's better than being stuck with furniture items you no longer like and cannot get rid of. I do know what you mean, BTW. Two houses ago we had a very large master bedroom (or at least very large to me, small compared to some folks'!) and purchased secondhand a 6 piece bedroom set, all pretty large pieces, which fit the room quite nicely. I got quite bored with the matchy-matchy thing and when we moved it did not fit at all into the new house's smaller bedrooms and couldn't really be divided up between rooms. A Craigslister got a nice bargain, since we just needed to get rid of these things that were crowding us out.
    ...See More

Forum not as active? Answer the Poll, please!

Q

Comments (151)
    I am a 38-year-old (I think, hard to remember at times!), female with 2 young children and a full-time (overtime required) job with no nanny/grandparents/help. My youngest has finally reached the blissful age of 5-years-old, so I can finally let him out of my sight for a few minutes! I've had more time for hobbies this year than the past 9 years combined. I don't remember when I registered. I know I lurked on several forums starting around 2005 before I finally registered. Whenever I searched for information on things like appliances or kitchen renovations, gardenweb posts always appeared on the search engine. I started saving myself some time by searching this site first. I think Vip (vcheethi) said what I have been trying to articulate for years. As I have always suspected, this board leans heavily toward the still active, empty-nesters. I can't keep up. I do read and try to retain information for later. I've found lot of great ideas that I hope to use later. (Lately you all have me pining for a sewing machine. That may have to be my next project/hobby for my next block of free time.) Peaceful state ... yes, that is it exactly. I pop in and out of here as my time permits. Decorating is a fun "extra" to me so it comes last after all my responsibilities. I received a lot of help recently with my library. It is looking good (at least I think so). Last weekend I took the plunge and bought new curtains. Once I have them in place, I will post new pictures. I *thought* I'd have them up by now, but as always, life throws a curveball. FIL is in ICU right now. I popped in tonight for a distraction since I can't sleep anyway.
    ...See More

Top Classic Posts from the Forums--Poll

Q

Comments (65)
    For a nice chuckle, if not all-out hilarity, go over to the GardenWeb, to the Amaryllis/Hippaestrum Forum, and scroll to the thread entitled: "Amaryllis Selection and Planting". Sorry, can't make the link work. Maybe someone else could? These are the nicest people, oohing and ahhing over each others' buds and scapes, even the most pathetic ones. Which I totally understand, as forcing amaryllis bulbs is a major interest for me every winter into spring. It's a cute thread, although it does devolve into creepy-crawl-ly stories.
    ...See More

Garden footwear ?

Q

Comments (22)
    @pea - I went barefoot all my life too. I didn't get a parasite until I was 42 and living on property that once had farm animals on it. I think the people who lived there used their manure in the garden, because that's where I got the parasites. I didn't go barefoot anywhere else out there because of fire ants. You can do what you want, but I just wanted to warn you. These strongyloides got into my eyes and I could feel them boring into my eyeballs. That's how I found out I had them. There was no other sign. A parasite's job is to stay hidden so they can feed off of you. By the time they found mine, they had disseminated all over my body and I was hyperinfected because of my lupus (autoimmune disease). I had to go into the hospital and be on an anti-helmintic drip and have my eyes flushed out three times a day with this stuff that felt like they were pouring fire into my eyes and have some sort of smelly stuff rubbed onto my skin every day too. It's not pretty. They told me I was lucky, that 70% of people who get hyperinfected die, and the bad part is most people don't know they have them until they are hyperinfected. It took me two years to get them under control, and I'll have to take these meds the rest of my life. I remember my grandmother telling us never to go into the stockyard at her house without shoes, because we'd get worms. Guess she was right.
    ...See More
  • Fori
    17 years ago

I garden barefoot unless I'm digging in which case I wear hiking boots (I think they're boys boots too!). Sometimes I wear old leather boat shoes when I'm in spikey stuff. As far as cool shoes with arch support, I don't have any to recommend.

• happyintexas
    17 years ago

I wear Adidas slides. They are black plastic sandals with great arch support. I can't walk for any length of time without arch support, unless I want to feel crippled later.

I love the slides because I can step into them as I go out the door and kick them off, dirty and wet, as I come back in. The sole is sturdy enough for shovel work. The only drawback is the two inch wide 'tan line' they leave across my foot, but I can live with that.

I also keep an old pair of sneakers for gardening, but nine times out of ten, I'm in the slides.

My teenaged son just purchased a pair of those trendy Crocs. He loves them. For me, there isn't quite enough arch support (and the knock-offs feel even more so) but his give a little more protection to the top of his foot than my sandals do.

Happy

• silver_lining
    17 years ago

I have a pair of Walmart knockoff Crocs that I think cost about 8 bucks. They are fine for really mucky days because I can just hose them off and they're good as new. I don't notice them being hot, I guess because they have all those holes in them.

Now for the bad news. They really don't offer much arch support at all (although I can't vouch for the more expensive ones). I also have to wear them with the strap up (not on the back of my foot, but on top of the shoe) because it was giving me blisters. But then, I am very blister prone.

I usually garden barefoot or, if I have digging to do, in Chacos (heavy duty Teva-like sandals with a hiking boot sole) or last year's athletic shoes.

Deb

• ntaylor_2006
    17 years ago

O this is too funny!! I have a hideous old pair of black Birkenstocks that I purchased on sale (US$33) about 17 years ago. I love them. They used to be 'good' shoes back then, because I had planters faceitous (?). They are without doubt the most comfortable shoes on the planet, as well as now being the most ugly. I have to keep glueing the straps back on, and the one sole is starting to crack where it hits the heel of the shovel. There will be a solem and sad burial when the finally give up the ghost.

I keep meaning to try the crocs, but haven't thus far!!

Regards.

• debbieca
    17 years ago

I like Sloggers the best. My current pair came from Target. They are all plastic or something like that, rubbery, so wash off easily and they do have a molded arch. I have very wide feet with a very high instep and these fit me, and better when I take out the liner and I do not start thinking about my feet hurting like I have with other garden shoes. Those new things have holes in them and ants can get into holes. I did notice Paul James wearing his with socks so maybe that would keep the ants off, but as I am in and out a dozen and more times a day I would not want to go through that many socks.

• Vamptoo
    17 years ago

I have a pair of the garden clogs (they may be Crocs, I'm not sure) that my DH bought me for my birthday and I really like them. The only problem I have is that they fill up with dirt and mulch when I walk across a bed or something. That annoys the 'blankety-blank' out of me but as far a comfort and support they are nice.

DH bought them at a garden center here in Spartanburg and I think he paid about $32 for them.

I also like that I can kick them off quickly when I go into the house and not track on my beige carpet.

Cindy

• ggschmerl
    17 years ago

Yep, I've got a pair. I call them garden clogs. DS gave them to me a couple years ago as a gift for Mother's day I think.
    I love mine. I keep them right by the back door and slip them on whenever I go outside. They are super easy to clean mud off of or if you happen to mistakenly step in dog doo like I often do, they hose right off....dry them off with a paper towel and stick them back on. Easy.
    I will admit to going out in mine too. If I have to run to Home Depot or the grocery store I usually have them on.
    No one's laughed at me yet...that I know of!

Mindy

• mrskjun
    17 years ago

I have a pair as well. Mine don't have the holes, and they weigh absolutely nothing. I have them for the garden, but they are so comfortable I find myself wearing them all the time. Just rinse them off and that's it, as well as being sturdy.

Betty

• foxglove
    17 years ago

My favorite garden footwear is an old pair of Adidas running shoes. They are laced just so that I can slip them on and off as needed. Good support and I like wearing socks with them. I do have a pair of garden clogs, but they make my feet too warm in summer. As far as garden clogs worn as a fashion statement? I really think they should stay in the garden.

I had to laugh when you asked about gardening in pajamas! I do it nearly every morning. I take the dogs out into the yard and while they romp I'll pull weeds, deadhead and water in my nightgown and flip flops! Good thing both neighbors are not too close!!

• angelcub
    17 years ago

I wear Sloggers and love them. Have them in green and blue, and if I find them in purple I'm getting them, too. : ) I like to wear them with socks because I have narrow feet and they slip off otherwise. Plus, I like having a nice pedicure for when I'm barefoot or in sandals, which is practically every hour I am not in the garden working. As far as the arch is concerned, they seem fine to me, but a friend of mine says they bother her. She is also overweight and says her feet hurt after a few hours of wearing them.

And I can relate to wearing them out in public. They are so comfy that I wore mine to a nursery one day. Then DH decided we needed to stop for lunch and wanted to look down at a menu instead of up. So into a restaurant we went, Sloggers and all. The ones I had on were fairly new and clean, so I didn't feel too bad. But I didn't even remember I had them on until after we had ordered! lol

Diana

• bellarosa
    17 years ago

I alternate between my red garden clogs, which I just love, and my old pair of gym shoes that are falling apart at the seams. I do wear them in public, too, since both are comfortable and most of them time, when I'm finish gardening, its usually dinner time and if I'm not in the mood to cook, sometimes we'll go out for dinner. Its not suprising for me to walk into our neighborhood restaurant with my overalls filled with dirt, my hair all frizzy and pulled back in a ponytail, no makeup (scary!) and either my red clogs or my gym shoes. My gym shoes are the worse though! They have literally unglued from the top seam, but I love them! I'm sure that one day my hubby will toss them when I'm not looking!

• PattiOH
    17 years ago

Oh yeah. Sloggers are the greatest! This is the third year I've worn them. I have 4 pair. Two pair are the premium kind which are lined. (I slip them on to forage in the garden in the early spring when snow is several inches high and my feet stay pretty warm. I also wear them all summer long. Yes, I wear them into stores and restaurant's and to the doctor's office etc. (But I also don't give two figs about fashion. I want my feet to be comfortable!) I wear the lined kind both with and without socks depending on my mood. The lining comes out, which is good because they often get wet. Which is why I have the second pair as "emergency back up"!
    My other two pair are the regular Sloggers classic garden clog. I wear these mostly in the spring when I'm sinking in the sticky clay mud. They wash off so easily and don't need dry time like the lined ones do. I keep a pair of these in the trunk of my car because I'm forever stopping to see someone's garden, and can keep my other shoes clean. The problem I have with these is that when I don't wear them with socks, they start "percolating". With each step I take they produce a sound like my dad used to make after feasting on my Aunt Nona's famous baked beans!

I love my Croc's too, but they would be annoying as heck to wear in my garden, with the Croc holes catching on things and pebbles etc. getting inside.

Below is the Sloggers site for the women's clogs. The bar on the left shows the link to the premium kind. A link to mens clogs is at the very bottom of the page.

For people like me who are constantly taking their shoes on and off when entering/leaving the house they are a MUST.

Patti . . .
    ps. The sloggers look snazzy with my robe and pjs too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Slogger's women's clogs

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

Anything about feet gets my attention!
    I have HUGE feet (hey, I'm a big gal!!). I need really high arch support, and I've found that most clogs really irritate the back of my heels giving me callouses. They are too wide, not enough support, and even with sox my feet get filthy. So why do I bother if my feet get filty. The whole reason I want garden shoes is to keep my darned feets clean!
    In winter/fall/early spring I wear these cool rainboots I got from Payless a few years ago. They are pink with paisleys (I wear inserts in them). In the summer I wear a pair of Born leather sandals I got on Ebay for a song. They are so comfy and cushy. And the best part is the leather doesn't mind getting wet. So I can scrub them, and also soak them in cool water and then put them on for some nice, cool feets when it's hot!! Sure my feet get filthy, but then again the only thing I've found that keeps them clean are the full-on rubber boots. Too hot for summer!

GGG

• georich5
    17 years ago

I love shoes, boots, etc...

I have barn boots for nasty muddy stuff outside which I only wear when necessary because my socks scrunch down inside.

My favorite clogs are the PLAID ladybugs from LL Bean from my son and DIL. But kind of hot. I accidently (right!) wore them to work on a rainy day forgetting to bring my shoes.
    Skeetcher flip flops for great wash and dry.

In a cubby in the garage I have clogs for all the gals in my family so there's no excuse for coming out into the yard.
    (Devious aren't I).

My list is growing...I can never have too many flowers, books, and shoes!!!!!

georgeanne

• Lisa_H OK
    17 years ago

I wear Crocs. They are the ugliest things in the world, I will be the first to admit, but they are comfortable. I had a pair of plastic sandals I used to garden in (and another pair for wearing everywhere else :) ). I loved them, but I started having problems with one of my arches falling. The doctor gave me stern instructions to get rid of my flat, no arch support sandals and find something better for my feet. I added arch supports to my dress shoes and a friend bought me a pair of Crocs (the real ones). I was quite dubious about wearing them, but I have since come to love them and I have not had arch problems since.

I recommend them.

Lisa

• keesha2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks! It sounds like crocs are the way for me with my arch and feet problems. Your guys are great, I knew I would get good advice here!

• blossomgirl
    17 years ago

Keesha-
    great thread..My all time favorite shoes in garden are sanita clogs made in Denmark. They are strong sturdy shoes that I wear year- round. They are pricey so I wear them as everyday mommy shoes and than as they wear down-- I switch them to garden shoes. How I heard about them is from a emergency room nurse who says all the Docs and Nurses wear them because they stand on their feet for hours at a time.
    I used to wear flip-flops but I took a bad fall in them and sprained my wrist and I need a really good support for my flat peasant feet.
    Gigi

• keesha2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thank youm Pattioh I looked at the slogger site and I am going to give those premium sloggers a try I think...I need a pair at each door I think! :) I like the print ones too and the fact they are lined. The crocs worry me with the holes..while I am a barefoot gardener often, there is nothing that annoys me faster than a rock in my shoe! I liked your story about beans and clog noises..made me laugh and I know the sound well, my keds do that when they are over soaked!

• angelcub
    17 years ago

Oh, I forgot about the gardening in pjs ? Um, I don't wear pjs. so I suppose I better not be gardening when I first get up. ; )

Diana

• keesha2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

prolly a good idea Diana....tho they neighbors might like the view..you might get offers to help you weed! I have a email that you would like!

• nberg7
    17 years ago

Patti has seen my version of "Manolos" for the garden. They're five dollar black rubber knee high boots from Wally World that I bought last year so I could slip and fall better on slick, wet clay after the rain here. I'm SO paranoid about snakes here that this is why I wear them when out and around my little jungle. I'm sure they could sink their fangs through them, but it would be a little harder methinks. However, trying to run in them (from yellow jackets) is like watching a slap-stick schtick. I can slip them on and off in a NY minute and they look so couture with shorts or a robe. Another bonus: to wash them all you have to do is hose them off! ;-)
    -Nan

• lousit
    17 years ago

If no one minds my butting into the conversation, I have a bright yellow, and a bright blue pair of rubber Ladybug shoes, by RangeR. Yes they have good arches and they keep my feet (with socks on) dry. They take the mud and grass and I can hose them off. The reason I have two pair is because I wear one pair while the other is drying when I wash them in the washing machine and place them on the dryer to dry. I garden in them and mow the lawn, cut wood for the cimmea and anything thing else in the yard that needs doing. I do not wear them to go away though. LoL! I do put them in a bag in my car if I know I will be going to help my girls out with yard work. I also bought each of my three girls a pair, all different colors so we don't mix them up since three of us out of the four wear the same size. These were purchased at Farm& Fleet, I wore out a lot of tennis shoes before I bought these three years ago.Thanks for letting me sound off. Lousit

• spunky_MA_z6
    17 years ago

Another vote for Crocs...

I love them. I find I reach for them instead of regular shoes any opportunity I get (shopping, picking up kids from school, etc.)

Now that it's summer, I can tell you they don't necessarily get "sweaty" but they aren't as comfortable in hot humid weather as they are in Spring, Fall, or even winter. In hot weather I find the top of my feet are a bit irritated from rubbing against the rubber. This is if I do a lot of walking.

You will get dirt in them.

The footbed is extremely comfortable.

Crocs does make flip flops now--haven't tried them yet but I'm eyeing them for beach shoes.

If you do go with Crocs, get the real Crocs--they aren't that expensive ($29) and are much more flexible than the Target knockoffs. They also have a special footbed that molds to your foot.

• wantoretire_did
    17 years ago

Let's see - I wear rubber clogs a lot (2 pr. from BJs for not much a couple of years ago), with DHs old sox when its chilly. Can't wear them to mow as they rub a blister on each foot. Then there's the pair of nikes that are umpteen years old (for mowing) and various flip-flops for just general poking around the yard. I did buy some rubber boots (Wellies) to muck around in the stream, pulling out weeds, etc.

Carol

• PattiOH
    17 years ago

Lousit, "Butting in" is greatly encouraged around here! Almost a requirement in fact. Join in anytime!

Geeorgeanne and Lousit,
    I just googled the Ladybugs, they look like they'd be great for walking in slippery clay!
    (Link below)
    NAN, LOOK! Major TREAD on the Ladybugs for better traction! (Can't you tie some garlic around your ankles or something to keep the snakes and yellowjackets away??? Also, you MUST model those manolos for everyone the first chance you get!

Patti

Here is a link that might be useful: Ladybugs

• Molly Adams
    17 years ago

slogger type shoes, easy off and on with kids in and out all day. cheap from target, but always always always with socks. if no socks, then only a shower will make my feet presentable for the public! i don't mind going thru a coupla pairs of ankle sox in a day...i try not to wear them out in the world, i keep a pair of flip flops in my car in case i forget and wind up at the local bar and grill with my garden shoes still on...lol

• keesha2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I love the responses to this..we all have our own thoughts or favorites, but yet, they are not so differant after all...the stories that go along with it are the best!!! I feel like I know you all a bit better now. It kinda feels like the old "boxer or Briefs" only in the garden world! :)

Just a follow up..when I was out today, I broke down and bought knock off of crocs for 7 bucks..I figure it is a pair to keep by each door..but I am going to order a pair of sloggers like Pattioh suggestion for my daily gardening shoes. I like that the premium ones are lined for sweat purposes....and I know you get what you pay for so my 7 bucks one will perform just like a 7 buck one should..:) I should be a site in my new bright blue knockoffs, and my nightgown getting the paper in the morning!!!! I try to dash in and dash out...but I am sure I don't escape unnoticed..and specially not with bright blue plastic shoes! I love your stories guys...

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

I wear rubber gardening clogs made by Anywears. They have excellent arch support and are very comfortable. In fact, when I was a florist I wore them to work for years and my feet felt better standing on concrete all day than they had in years. I have two pair that I alternate. They are at least five years old but still feel great. I have replaced the insoles.

I tried on Sloggers at Target recently but I will not buy them, no comparison on comfort.

I wear Danskos for work now and have decided that life is too short to wear uncomfortable shoes.

When it is really cold I wear rubber bottomed boots. I think they are called "duck boots" They aren't as comfortable but they are warm and dry.

Birkenstocks "Birkie" clogs are another brand of high end ultra comfort gardening clogs and yes, I do wear my Anywears out in public. LOL

• rosebush
    17 years ago

Great thread! Glad to see I'm not the only one who wears boys' hiking boots. Have to with the snakes around and the hilly terrain. But I must admit I have been eyeing the clogs for awhile now. . .

• courtskey83
    17 years ago

Just FYI, crocs now makes a closed shoe, with no holes. I haven't seen them at any of the stores around here... but they're on their website. I bought a pair of croc's back in the fall for $29 I believe. Its really not a bad price for something that is pretty much indestructable. My mom on the other hand, has bought pretty much every pair of knock off crocs out there, and none compare quality wise. Most of them are made out of a tough plastic instead of the soft rubbery material the crocs use. I think Croc's give plenty of support. As far as a fashion statement, who knows. I live in Austin where anything goes... so seeing someone out in shoes that people consider garden clogs is no big deal... Pretty low-key when the person next to you has purple hair and 5 facial peircings.

Here is a link that might be useful: croc's website

• nberg7
    17 years ago

I do like those Ladybugs. Maybe I could stencil my black boots to look that cute? I'm going to ask for a pair for the next holiday that means I get a present. Fourth of July would work I think. ;-)
    -Nan

• Steveningen
    17 years ago

I wear clogs that I bought in Holland. Not the wooden shoe kind, but good sturdy rubber with a no-skid sole. Not much of a fashion statement, but hey.

• PattiOH
    17 years ago

I have no plans to give up my Crocs, but I did want to let you all know that a local gardening friend emailed me tonight and said,
    "I had a piece of bark pierce through my croc and puncture the bottom of my foot, almost like a nail. It means they pierce like a piece of styrofoam".

So, just a bit of a caveat, for what it's worth.
    Patti

• ccl38
    17 years ago

I have two pair of sloggers that I keep by the front and back door. I try to always remember to put them on, but you know how sometimes something in the garden will call to you and an hour later you realize you are in your good sneakers. That happen to me a lot--but I do like the sloggers.

• SandL
    17 years ago

This has been a recent delimma of mine too. Last year I bought a pair of L.L. Bean's garden shoes. I totally love them, but they lasted only one year of HARD garden work. I did a lot of shovel work last year. They have great arch support, rubber on the outside, breathable on the inside. I also found they dry within a couple of hours when wet. The drawback? The rubber tends to split after several months of hard labor and they are about $30.

I tried Sloggers, but every time I took a step in them it sounded like I had just eaten Mexican for lunch - if you get my drift. Though they were comfortable, they were returned to Target three days after I bought them.

So, now I am down to my Birkenstocks (the traditional hippy style). I completely love Birkenstocks, despite how expensive they are. The arch support is fabulous! They also make garden clogs - for about $80 a pair (yikes!) Still, if they last forever and make your feet feel great, I'd invest in them.

I can't bring myself to wear those rubber, holey Holland style clogs. Though they are popular, they look really tacky.

And yes, I do garden in my jammies. It's not intentional, but I generally find myself getting ideas when looking about the garden when doing a morning look-see. Before you know it, my shovel is in my hand and I'm moving stuff around (or weeding rogue grass out of a new bed).

How many times has your coffee gone cold because you set it down, to just "pick a few weeds"? I've lost count!

• keesha2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sandl you sound just like me..that is exactly how I end up gardening in my jamies as some early hour of the morning...I am glad to know there are others who get sucked in like that just like me..

• mrmorton
    17 years ago

I've always just used the oldest pair of tennis shoes as my garden shoes.
    I have some leather sandals Nan bought me, but I don't wear them too often. I always end up with mulch or pea gravel under my toes.
    This past Christmas Nan got me a pair of Lands End Mocassins(or whatever they are called) I love them and wear them all the time. Slip 'em on and off all day long.

• gauralady
    17 years ago

I have bought the clog style garden shoes from Smith & Hawken or Gardener's Eden (don't remember) but ended up having to replace them too often because the molded plastic seam in the front would always split. The cheaper garden shoes in the chain stores were too lightweight and didn't have arch support.

I have had a pair of Muck Boot shoes (not clogs) and have loved them because of their very durable material, the great tread on the sole, the better foot support (I would often twist my ankles in clogs), they have a removeable liner that can be washed, and the shoe design keeps my feet a lot cleaner. They are more expensive (about $40+ as I recall) but they last and the advantages outweigh the price differental. I am sticking with them!

• friend
    17 years ago

anyone like me just tend to garden in the shoes that they accidentally ruined by wearing in the garden anyway? haha
    that or the last pair of running sneaks :)

• caroline94535
    17 years ago

For "heavy" or "hard" gardening and yard work, I wear last year's New Balance running shoes. My oldest pair is always designated as my "work shoes."

For regular garden maintenance where I'm not like to injure my feet I have an off-brand, "Holey Soles," made in Canada, that I picked up at the Garden Center. They are lime green, look identical to the "Clogs", and cost $25.

They do have a molded arch support; they're comfortable, but I wear old socks with them. I have "gardening socks" that are clean but stained. They can get wet and muddy. I wear the socks because I have diabetes and I don't want to risk rubbing a blister. They're comfortable without the socks, but I'm extra cautious; I plan on walking into heaven with my original feet!

Yes; they're a fashion statement; but not one I want to make in public. I wear them while gardening and in my yard to check on the birds (Purple Martins and Tree Swallows.) I occasionally wear them in the evening while watching TV

Pajamas, night shirts, night gowns and long johns/sweaters are perfectly acceptable and understandable early to mid-morning garden attire. I highly recommend them.

If people don't have a sense of wonderment and humor, they should not live next to me!

• hydrangea89
    17 years ago

Well you'll usually find me in the garden in my knock off birkenstocks (the original ones) that I buy at payless every couple of months( I know investing in a real pair will save me gas and money!)and they work great although they do get drenched! But just recently I bought a pair of red knock off crocs at Walmart for 9 dollars, and they are really comfortable. Although they do get mud and water in them I don't mind. And they are so easy all you have to do is rinse them off with the hose! I have gone out a couple of times wearing them, when Im not trying to make a fashion statement. But I am thinking of buying a real pair of the beach crocs I believe they're called, they look like the ones from Walmart, but are probably better made and more comfortable! And they're only 30 bucks!

• SandL
    17 years ago

Keesha - Yeah, I'm horrid when it comes to getting sucked into the garden. I think my husband thinks I'm obsessed because his eyes glaze over anytime I mention a new plant I want in the garden. Still, it's worth it, isn't it? Jammy clad or not it's nice to see the ideas we invision in our heads actually work out in our gardens.

• Blue Onblue
    7 years ago

I have those Croc shoes for the garden. They do not make my feet sweaty. The good thing is that when I broke my toe and couldn't wear shoes, the only shoes I could wear were Crocs. I had a co-worker who also broke her toe and I told her to go out and get a pair. They worked for her too.

• User
    7 years ago

No clogs, crocs, slogs or whatever here. Meindl walking boots, summer and winter, for everything. I have never had 'too hot' feet in my life (my boots are 2 sizes too big and lined with sheepskin). I do have Raynauds syndrome - my excuse for never allowing my poor feet to see daylight (although I bought a pair of sandals last year - last worn such when I was 10).

• lucillle
    7 years ago

I do have a pair of plastic garden boots meant for rainy days. For ordinary gardening I have an old pair of athletic shoes dedicated to gardening. I also have a wall dispenser of those hospital shoe covers near the back door and if I'm wearing athletic or other shoes I don't want to get dirty and I'm only going out for a little while I'll put covers on.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz