SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherri_gw

Poll: Do your bedroom night stands match?

cherri
16 years ago

Just purchased new master bedroom pieces (large armoire, and king head/foot board - did not purchase any nightstands, yet. Was wondering how many of you have two matching night stands? If not, what alternative did you use? I'm feeling adding two wood "matching" pieces will make the room very heavy, overdone and BORING. If you have pic's to share would love to take a peek.

Comments (49)

• piper101
    16 years ago

Yes, Mine match. Are the rest of the pieces in the room or on order? Some ways to go about this but with some caveats.

1/ Wait til everything is in the room, then decide. Caveat: If you decide you want the matching night stands after all, they might not be exact color match since made manuf at a later time etc. (maybe, maybe not)

But if you wait, you may not need or have room for the nightstands that would have matched.

Anyway, someone can photoshop your pieces into your room for you? Hard to tell without looking at the room, the furniture placement etc. I would say that if nightstands are different that both should be the same height so you get that levelness when you are looking toward the headboard and it won't effect your lamps being at different heights as well.

Sorry if I have not helped. Just a few things to think about as you go thru the process. Just want you to be happy with the end result. :)

• karezz
    16 years ago

All my bedroom furniture matched: sleigh bed, armoire, dresser and 2 nightstands. I have since replaced the bed and eventually hope to replace both nightstands. I think 2 different pieces would be great - and in a wood finish that doesn't match the other pieces exactly.

• Related Discussions

What kind of art do you have in your bedroom?

Q

Comments (31)
    Thank you everyone for sharing. Natal, I love that nude (well, semi-nude). I found an impressionist style print of a European cityscape that I liked, but it wasn't framed, and I think after framing it'd be too big for our room. I also have a metal leaf sculpture I like. I had it over the mantel in the LR, but moved it for the holidays to our bedroom. I liked it, but it seemed too much with the headboard. Lil Home, I have some art like you have on your bed. Only I have it in black and seal point. Well, now at least, I feel like I can hang any art in there. I will just have to go hunt for something! I found an adorable watercolor of a bunny on Etsy. I'm leaning toward that, it's DH nickname, and we have kissing bunny figurines in our room. VERY kitschy, but it's our private space and it means something to us.
    ...See More

Besides bed, what is in your Master bedroom?

Q

Comments (46)
    In re my points about no TV in the MBR 1. I've read that for maximum restfulness, the BR should be used only for sleeping and, not sleeping. I think that makes sense and try to adhere to it. 2. We have a no-TV-no-tech lakehouse and we found that when we stayed there we talked more, read more, and slept more. All things I value 3. Human nature is "path of least resistance". I try to configure my house to encourage behaviors I value most. 4. I personally have a very high sloth quotient. I could easily while away much of a sunny spring day watching really bad TV, like "The Learning Channel". When I am away, my DH has been known to stay up till odd hours watching old PBS documentaries. 5. That said, I forgot about news in the morning. I am now in the habit of going into my office to check the web for news and weather. I miss all of the morning news nonsense and popular culture though! 6. We need the Daily Show, daily, and it's followup. I really miss that at the lake. In re seating areas 1. In this home and the last, we never sat in the MBR. I still don't get that (though I love the lunch date someone described!). If our kids are up, I would want to be near them. If they are asleep, I would probably want to enjoy my house in solitude! 2. That said, right now there are 2 chairs and a settee in my MBR. Frankly more as storage than anything else.
    ...See More

Night stands for Guest Bedroom

Q

Comments (6)
    We moved out and turned our home over to the floor guys and painters these past two weeks which is why I haven't responded to the request for pictures. I traveled back yesterday to check in and I am so pleased with the floors! But there is nothing much yet to photograph - an empty square room with 2 large windows being painted white on white;) This summer has been a time of "hurry up, then wait" with the home remodel, and I was hoping I could hunt down some night stands during this down time. I'm really not sure of what styles and colors would be best. The ideal would be to just keep an eye open until I came upon the right ones. But we'll have guests staying in that room for 2 wks. in November, so I need to find something sooner than later. This post was edited by amck on Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 18:52
    ...See More

Bedroom - Plank ceiling, matching the furniture, wood colors? help!

Q

Comments (2)
    The room also has the original, HUGE, beautiful built in mirror that is built into the wall with ornate wood. I feel like it's time to strip and re stain this as well, so again, what color should I use? It gets even worse! we had to pull the old crap trim and are replacing it. My hubby purchased beautiful trim that is white. Too much going on. Skip the pallet ceiling. The mirror is the focal point. Don't need (or want!) anything else. Make it easy on yourself & do a painted drywall (or plaster) ceiling. For firespread resistance, you need drywall under the pallet boards anyway.
    ...See More
  • patricianat
    16 years ago

If you use mismatching nightstands, use something that unites them, i.e., matching lamps, similar but different makes for a pleasing view, but totally different is somewhat unsettling.

• justgotabme
    16 years ago

We are emty nesters, unless you count our three kittens, so two of the bedrooms don't have beds and never had duo nightstands. Our master bedroom has matching night stands. Other than stain color they don't match the bed style or our armoires which match each other, but nothing else.

Our guest room has one normal night stand and an oak school desk used as a night table. Sorry I don't have pictures yet. I've not finished that room. Too many other things going on to keep me busy. Well, lets be honest, I could have it done if I wasn't on my computer so much. :]

For hubby and I it works well to have matching since we both use ours for a lamp for reading and a place to store our current reading materials.

I do love the look of different night stands/tables though. I love the idea of the wives having a feminine feel (mirrored for example) and the hubbys being more masculine in stained wood.

• cattknap
    16 years ago

Nope neither match. on my side of the bed I have an old 19th century chest with a cupboard that has shelves (it is so useful) and my husband has a nice sized ebonized table with barley twist legs and turnings - it has a small drawer and a good sized open bottom shelf...our bed is rattan and newer - I do like the mix of old and new.

• skypathway
    16 years ago

Currently my nightstands match however in the past they have been different. They don't match my bed or the bench at the foot of my bed or the chairs by the fireplace. My dressers are in my closet and I don't have an armoire.

I think part of it depends on the space you have around the bed - I love the look of a desk on one side and a small bureau on the other. I did this a few houses ago, however in that house the wall the bed was up against was very long and the room could handle this type of layout.

I like the look of a completely matched set of bedroom furniture, or completely unmatched but well co-ordinated. I suggest you go with what you think looks best in your room. If you go all out on bed linens, I don't think too many people look at the furniture since they are focused on the bed itself.
    sky

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

The 'trend' today is more of unmatching nightstands, but certainly whatever you do should connect to your other furnishings somehow.

If matching nightstands is what you're accustomed to and like, though, as the responses show, plenty of people like them that way. It sounds like for yourself, when you picture that, it's not really how you want the room to look and feel though (all those magazine rooms creeping into your head, maybe :)

• callaloo
    16 years ago

It's not easy to tell from the attached photo, but my "nightstands" don't match. One nightstand is one that came with the two chests of drawers and matches them; the other "nightstand" is a small bookcase which is taller than the other nightstand. The only thing that matches is that the color of the stain is similar, and they have matching lamps (which you can see).

My home has been furnished very slowly over the years; I've only bought stuff when I could afford it. Since much of it was purchased piecemeal over time, very few pieces are of the same set other than my dining room table and chairs and a few pieces in the bedroom. I kind of like it that way.

• johnmari
    16 years ago

Our nightstands match each other but not anything else in the room. I had not planned on getting a matching pair of nightstands, had intended to get two singles, but I needed a hard-to-find tall, narrow size (nightstands are getting so massive!) and they were a good price so I snagged them. Before we got these, I had a small, white, three-drawer chest on one side and a simple little cherry-finish table with a drawer on the other. Those went to the guest room.

We're not really the "bedroom set" type, we had a complete matching set - headboard, double dresser w/mirror, tall chest of drawers, 2 nightstands, tv armoire - and got rid of it because we found it very boring. A craigslister got a nice bargain. :-)

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Matching, and symmetry as with the nighstands, is a more formal look, if that helps.

• cind11
    16 years ago

My night stands matched from our "old" bedroom furniture. We bought new funrniture earlier this year, and I went with one night stand that matched the rest of the furniture and the other night stand is a round painted table with only one drawer. I actually like having them nonmatched. It just looks nice to mix things up a little.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

It's nice to use a chest of drawers on one side of the bed too. I really like that look.

• debo_2006
    16 years ago

Nope, since we bought our very high bed, I can't find tall enough stands that work well. Obviously, we didn't buy a new BR suite. I would like them to match though.

D

• natal
    16 years ago

Nothing in my house matches. ;)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• chelone
    16 years ago

Yes, our's match. I purchased them for $70 at a junk shop. They're from the '40s, stained to look like mahogany and I've always wanted to strip them and repaint them in a Chinoiserie look.

I purchased them because they were the right height for a bedside lamp, so the switches could be reached from a reclining position.

• les917
    16 years ago

Nope. DH's nightstand is the one that matches the rest of the bedroom furniture. Mine is a round tabletop we mounted on two 24" high bookcases, back to back, so I have storage on the shelves underneath. Covered with a floor length moss green silk tablecloth with a heavy rolled edge. Topped with a piece of glass.

Both nightstands have different lamps, as well.

• rebecca51
    16 years ago

My nightstands match, but they're not really nightstands. They were end tables for our living room years ago, and so they now do duty in our bedroom. They are cherry so the wood matches our furniture. We don't have a headboard/footboard which I'm missing. We went from queen to king a couple of years ago & I just haven't replaced it yet. Someday...

• sovra
    16 years ago

Mine match each other, but not the bed. (I went with an iron bed.) It just feels more balanced to me to have matching nightstands.

• OKMoreh
    16 years ago

My nightstands match, but they're not really nightstands. They were end tables for our living room years ago, and so they now do duty in our bedroom.

I used to use night stands in the living room, as end tables, because they were the only ones I could find that were the right size and had drawers. But those are now in the guest room. As a result, that room has matching night stands (but no bed).

• Sueb20
    16 years ago

Our nightstands match each other, as well as one bureau, but the matching ends there. Our bed is black iron, and we also have another bureau that is painted black. We also have a desk that doesn't match anything in the room! I think matching nightstands, bed, and bureau(s) is too much.

• fnmroberts
    16 years ago

Our nightstands match one another in each bedroom but none of the nightstands are from the same furniture manufacturer as the bed. Photos are linked from "My Page."

• dorothy9_gw
    16 years ago

Total of 5 bedrooms, two have exactly same night stands and the other 3 rooms have different *things*. One is a commode w/door for chamber pot I think and l large & 2 small drawers. This is paired with a cloth covered top with glass. Another has an old oak 2 drawer dresser on one side of the iron bed and the other side has an oak table I got for free at a garage sale about 20 years ago. DD likes things to match so she thinks my ideas are dorky and my DH thinks the unmatched things are JUNK.

• allison0704
    16 years ago

Junk?! Tell DH I said that is such a harsh word, Dorothy! ;)

We have never had matching nightstands in the MBR. Everything is old. DH's night table (an old desk) will be moving to DS guest room as soon as I find something to replace - actually, table from foyer might be coming in and I'll put something else there. On my side is my maternal grandmothers pie crust table, usually used in a LR.

Only one of our bedrooms has matching night tables and they are painted antique pieces DD1 no longer wanted.

You can see both night tables in picture #2 linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: MBR

• lorriekay
    16 years ago

in the guest room they don't (on purpose).. in the master they do

• momfromthenorth
    16 years ago

Matching Night Stands??? We don't have one pair that match in any bedroom but... the lamps sitting on them in our MBR do match! And no one's ever even noticed that they don't match since I put the matching lights on them.

• rococogurl
    16 years ago

My night tables do not match though they have a similar configuration -- 30" tables with a single drawer. But different styles and color; old.

Nightstands in our guest room do match because they were my sister's and I swapped them for a quilt she liked. I seem constitutionally incapable of buying a pair of anything except shoes and earrings.

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

No matches here. One nightstand is part of the bedroom set, it's hefty with a drawer and cabinet underneath with two doors that close. The other is a round table with a cover in fabric that complements the bedding. I'll probably be changing that soon, but I think I'd like to stick with round (antique would be great), it softens the look of the room, less angles.

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

Les, thanks for a GREAT idea! We have the nightstand that matches our bed on my side, but we need something for DH's side, and I've had a heck of a time finding anything. If I can't find an antique I love for that spot, I'm going with your idea of bookcases w/round tabletop on top. Thank you!

• zone_8grandma
    16 years ago

My night stands match each other, but not the bed or chest (which don't match each other either). The styles are related, but not identical. I think it "works" as they say.

I do think it would be boring to have everything match.

• DLM2000-GW
    16 years ago

No, not at all. One is similar to the bed but not part of a set and the other is an iron frame my DH made and I skirted and topped with stone. Having matching lamps ties it together enough for me.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• patches123
    16 years ago

Mine are not part of the set and they are each different. One is open underneath and the other has drawers that go to the floor. Our lamps, while similar, are not identical. While I like symetry I do not like matchy match (which drives DH nutso).

• cherri
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, thank you all so much for your great responses. As I figured, it's a split decision, all about personal style and preference. I love all of your great ideas and suggestions, and for those of you that posted photo's - thanks. I am leaning towards one night stand for D/H side that does match the bed and armoire and using a fabric round table with some type of storage for my side. After looking at the room and marking out each of the night stands, which are quite large, even though I have the space I feel it will be too much. Again, thank you all so much for taking the time to respond this forum is a life/money saver. Cheri

• debbie1000
    16 years ago

Our set (20 yrs old) came with two matching nightstands. I like a "put together" look but not "matchy."We have since changed the headboard to a metal/rustic type headboard and brought in metal accessories. Also, I put a round piece of wood on top of one nightstand, put a tableskirt that goes to the floor and then a square shorter one on top of that, then a piece of beveled glass on top of it. That way I also keep all of the storage from my nightstand and it doesn't look too matchy. Plus I can change the tableskirt when I change my decor without spending a lot of $.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Great question!

Everything in my bedroom matches as it's a set, and it was all fine in my last house but is too big and heavy for the room it's in now. It's overwhelming in there. I wish I could think of how to make it all go away (for some money) and different stuff to be in it's place -- smaller stuff not so chunky. If I had a magic wand, none of it would be a matched set, but it would still all match in wood tone pretty much.

My bed is the biggest problem. It weighs a ton, nobody can move it, not even me and my son together, and I have trouble painting behind it. My "boxsprings" is the old platfrom left over from my waterbed, which has been gone for years. I try to buy a boxspring but nobody will agree to haul away that plywood box that's there now, and I sure don't know what I could do with it. I couldn't even move the darned thing. I don't know what to do about it all. One of these days when I get around to that room I'll throw myself on the mercy of this wonderful board for ideas other than gasoline and a match. I can imagine cutting it up to build shelves for in the room where the lawnmower is kept (it's an attached high-class garden shed). But it's beyond me to even get it down there.

But to answer your question, no I wouldn't feel compelled to get matching nightstands unless I really wanted them.

• donnar57
    16 years ago

Yes, ours do in both master bedroom and guest bedroom. As someone pointed out - this gives it a more formal feel. But I'll add - ours are always so messy that this makes it much less formal right away. :-) Our master bedroom was purchased as a set - bed, armoire, big heavy dresser/mirror combo, and 2 nightstands. The guest room set was a hand-me-down from my in-laws when we first got married: bed, dresser and mirror, and chest. The nightstands were purchased separately when we could afford them, and we *were* able to get a decent match for the maple wood! The mirror has since been stashed under the bed because the wood is stripped at the place of attachment to the dresser.

Neither of our girls have nightstands that match her set. One has her desk butted up to her bed, and the other has an old magazine table that sat in our living room eons ago. But both girls are getting ready to move out within the next 2 years.

DonnaR/CA

• pahance
    16 years ago

Great thread! dlm2000 - I love, LOVE your room. That bed is gorgeous, as are the night stands, Oh my! Would you mind telling me what color paint you have on the walls? Thanks!

• DLM2000-GW
    16 years ago

Thank you rosewind! So glad I checked in here today or I would have missed this for sure. I'm going to disappoint you - I rarely use any color as is - always adjust somewhat. Guess I'm just a frustrated chemist or something with universal tints! If I remember right, that color began as Macadamia from Devine Paints and I adjusted from there. I no longer even have the can, just a bit left in a jar. But you know, what you're seeing on your monitor is probably not what my room looks like IRL. If you like what you're seeing, print out a picture and have your paint store color match it - that's your best bet.

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

Dim: LOVE your bedroom--simple, refined and so sumptuous looking at the same time!

Yes, ours match--but only because I found them--in perfect condition--on Craigslist for $50 each, and at Restoration Hardware they are $995.00 each. How could I pass that up??? :)

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

Mine do not match since on my left of my bed, I have a antique ivory junior chest (similar to a bachelor's chest... looks like an oversized night stand or a small bureau) and on the right side of the bed, I have an rutstic ivory Iron round table to match my rutic ivory iron headboard. I could not fit a night stand there since on the wall perpendicular I have a antique ivory chest of drawers. I love the look of both matching and not matching if everything is coordinated nicely.

• redbazel
    16 years ago

Deb, I love those bedroom shots too! Gorgeous! And may I say how fabulous is your taste in lamps?

Red

Here is a link that might be useful: My lamp in living room!

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Absolutely not, and always on purpose. DH just had his furniture from Texas opened up after shipping and thought he was going to convince me to use his bedroom set, because it was expensive and it's lovely. But it's a dresser, bed, two night stands, and a highboy...all the same.

I will use one of the nightstands between a couple of chairs, and the dresser can stay in the master closet, but the rest will get scattered into different homes and rooms.

I'm planning on using an antique sewing machine table on one side of the bed and a small dresser on the other. The bed itself will probably be built for us since I'm tucking it in a bay window so we have lakeside views all around :)

• pahance
    16 years ago

dlm2000, thanks so much for the reply. What a great color with black & white and just what I've been looking for. Oh well, I may do as you suggested and try to get the paint store to match it from the photo.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I also love the night stands. The one that you and your husband created is fantastic!--(and not the least bit DIY looking).

Thanks again!

• johnmari
    16 years ago

oceanna,

Two words: reciprocating saw. :-) Move as much as you can into another room, cover everything else with dropcloths and/or old sheets, and have at it. We've had to take furniture out in pieces a few times. About 10 years ago we had an enormously-heavy sleeper loveseat from the 60s that DH and his two brothers somehow bent the space-time continuum to get up into our third-floor apartment (top floor of a mid-1800s three-flat), but there was NO way it was getting back down. We disassembled it with a crowbar and hammer and hucked the pieces out the window, which really confused the downstairs neighbors. :-) It was a pity that we had to render it unusable for someone else when I would rather have put it out on the curb as we lived in a very poor neighborhood and it would have been snatched up in a matter of minutes even in its worn-out state, but it had become pretty much unusable for us too and the apartment was far too small to blow that much space on something that couldn't be used - the living room was just barely big enough for one full-size futon couch (moved in and out disassembled), one chair, and a tv stand! That was it!

Anyway, if you detach the plywood-box section from the headboard (and footboard if there is one), it is more likely that the headboard(/footboard) could be removed intact and reusable - if you post them on Craigslist, just specify that they are extremely heavy so people should be prepared to bring along help. Cut the plywood into smaller sections that can be moved, although a circular saw would probably be easier for that part. If you/your son aren't up to doing this yourself, hiring a handyman (through Craigslist? heehee) to do the cutting-up and lugging shouldn't be too awfully expensive especially if you don't go through one of those dreadful overpriced franchises. You'll have some cleaning to do in the bedroom but it's better than being stuck with furniture items you no longer like and cannot get rid of.

I do know what you mean, BTW. Two houses ago we had a very large master bedroom (or at least very large to me, small compared to some folks'!) and purchased secondhand a 6 piece bedroom set, all pretty large pieces, which fit the room quite nicely. I got quite bored with the matchy-matchy thing and when we moved it did not fit at all into the new house's smaller bedrooms and couldn't really be divided up between rooms. A Craigslister got a nice bargain, since we just needed to get rid of these things that were crowding us out.

• DLM2000-GW
    16 years ago

Hiya Red - your link isn't working but I guess that means you have the same lamp?

Thank you, Organic - refined??.....I'll have to tell DH no more clipping toenails in the bedroom ;-)

Rosewind another option if you want - email me and I can send you a notecard with the paint on it for an exact color match - up to you. dlm054@hotmail.com

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

Guess not since I only have one piece that would count as a night stand.

At the old house:

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Johnmari, thanks. :-) I enjoyed your story. Yes, too bad about the sofa but sometimes that's the only way. I just wish someone would come and buy my whole set and make it go byebye... but I have to make sure that I can afford to get replacements. Maybe part of the trick to that is cleaning out my garage to make room for the bedroom set to go down there piecemeal. But the saw sounds like the ultimate solution for that big plywood box.

• sweets98
    16 years ago

Night stands? What are those? Our room is too small to fit a stand on both sides of the bed. I have a small plant stand with a basket that I use to put my glasses in at night but that's going to have to go once we get my headboard built. Oh, well, my dresser isn't THAT far away. And DH just has a small trunk that I found that's just big enough for his alarm clock and a photo or to sit on along with a box for the remote. It works for us :)

• CaroleOH
    16 years ago

Yes, they do!

My bed is a sleigh bed and tall, so I didn't want to worry about hunting for a side table that would fit height wise.

I'm not that wound up about the hip decorating factor in my bedroom as my hubby and I are the only ones who ever see it anyways. I have enough problems just getting the downstairs looking put together! Once I've mastered that, then I'll get to the MBR. :-)