SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fawnridge69

WANTED: Ricky's Swap and Grunt - Sunday Oct. 22nd

fawnridge (Ricky)
17 years ago

Okay, okay, I'll start a list. First off, just a reminder - you'll have to e-mail me starting on Wednesday, October 18th for an invite that you'll need to print and bring with you to get through our guardhouse - you won't have to remove your shoes and we do allow toothpaste in carry-on bags.

Giveaway stuff - I don't want anything in trade for these plants. If you already have one, please don't take another.

Caesalpinia pulcherrima - Pride of Barbados or Dwarf Poinciana - Orange flower and Yellow flower (I'm a looking for pink and cream if anyone has seeds.)

Uncarina grandidieri - Monkey Puzzle Tree - Yellow flowers. I've got 10 started in one gallon cans but we can take cuttings when those are gone.

Plectranthus amboinicus - Cuban or African Oregano - Six started in one gallon, but lots of cuttings if you'd like one.

Ixora - The white ones seem to be doing okay, the Trinadad Red and the Super Kings are giving me fits. But they should start throwing roots soon. Either way, you'll be able to take cuttings if you feel lucky.

Crotons - I've got two different varieties in one gallon cans that will take full sun - Twist and Point, which is one of the earliest Thai hybrids, and a rare Yellow Davis #14. There are at least 6 of each. There are over 300 crotons in the ground here. I will take cuttings for anyone who is a collector.

What am I looking for?

Several small flowering shrubs. The must not root at nodes and they've got to be established in at least a one gallon can, preferably a three.

Stuff I've already got reserved, and this list will grow.

For Arabesque - A Stoplight Croton. I found one in a can hidden under a Selloum. It's yours.

For Lisa - A Krukonis Croton. I've already yanked the pick of the litter.

Okay, that's my list. There's other stuff here, surprises, first come, first served. Doors open at 10am on Sunday morning. Pulled pork and the famous Boca Boys Baked Beans with Peaches at noon. Come hungry, have fun!

Comments (151)

• mistiaggie
    17 years ago

I'll have two seaside mahoe seedlings of anyone is interested.

• Lady
    17 years ago

Many of you have some good stuff. Anything left or is it all traded? (SMILE)

Wanna run I have hedychium elizabeth and vanilla orchid if you still want some. Any chance you have the month by month by McCubin left? Also check out my list below.

Growgrow Do you have zingiber creamyway left? I have edibles listed below.

Lisa I would love to get one or both of your variegated heliconias. I will trade heavily for them. I have lots of bananas I can bring you or check out my list. I know you weren't offering them for trade but sometimes a girls gotta ask.

I have the following available but wont be bringing everything so if anyone see's anything they want please speak up.

Bananas;
    raja puri
    superdwarf
    nino
    ice cream
    1000 finger
    dwarf plantain
    dwarf red

misc edibles:
    katuk
    pigeon pea
    dragon fruit physical graffiti
    mango seedling
    large sugar apple

Gingers:
    alpinia nutans narrow leaf
    alpinia formosana
    a. purpurata pale pink
    a purpurata pink (maroon)
    bosenbergia rotunda
    costus curvibracteatus green mountain
    c. spicatus
    c. noid probably pictus
    curcuma figi
    c zedoaria
    globba schomburgkii
    hedychium kewense
    h daniel weeks
    h elizabeth
    heliconia red yellow gyro
    h rostrata
    h. noid 10+ 'tall with huge orange flowers year round

MISC
    orange jasmine
    bromeliads
    clero quadriculare
    starfish cactus
    christmas palm babies
    cassia alata
    native cassia
    vanilla orchid
    rainlily's
    native coffee (great for birds)
    neckace pod (native for critters)
    porterweed
    walking iris
    a few orchids

I am interested in edibles especially ones that are smaller or good in containers,different butterfly plants, orchids, anything uncommon and I love handmade stuff.

• Related Discussions

South Florida Swap - October 22nd - Sunday

Q

Comments (55)
    I put together a list of what I have to offer for the swap. If anybody is interested in any of these, let me know. Blue glory bower (Clerodendrum ugandense) Firecracker plant (Russelia equisetiformis) Scarlet milkweed (Asclepias curassavica) Yellow bells (Tecoma stans) Coral vine (Antigonon leptopus) Mexican flame vine (Senecio confus)-butterfly nectar Malabar spinach (Basella rubrum) Pyrosia longifolia fern Virginia chain fern (Woodwardia virginica) Sword fern (nephrolepsis exaltata) Heliconia psittacorum Lady DI Large orange heliconia (I don't know the name yet) Pendant Lobster claw heliconia (Heliconia rostrata) Moringa oleifera Coral bush ( Jatropha multifida)- nectar loved my zebra but. Costus purple gueen (Costus erythrophyllus) Costus stepladder (Costus malortieanus) Hedychium Sagigake Curcuma Coco top Curcuma kimono Alpinia pinstripe (Alpinia fromosana) Zingiber creamy way Candle bush (Senna alata) Pitaya - Dragon fruit (physical graffity var.) Ming aralia (Polyscias fruticosa) fennel stevia (stevia rebaudiana) I can post pictures upon request. Let me know. Veronika
    ...See More

wanted: wanted: swap-a-que - oct.13 - swap list # 3

Q

Comments (41)
    Back home already, sorry I couldn't stay for the delicious food, but I had a great time and it was pleasure meeting you all.. well those who were there before 1pm. I'm a little mad at myself, because I forgot three of my trade plants near the curb by the walkway to the backyard. The sweet corn is the one I'm most sad about... oh well..there's always next year right.. Thanks again to everyone for making me for welcome and to our lovely host and hostess for opening your home, yard and driveway to us all. hope you all enjoy your holy basil.
    ...See More

Possible date for the spring Swap-a-que

Q

Comments (22)
    I can't believe its time again. Hubby & I have been busy adding a lot of natives to our yard. As we get closer I'll post to see if anyone is interested. The swap was our 1st and we enjoyed it very much. Loved meeting everyone. We were down by the water. There was a nice breeze. There were 2 blonde women there. They gave us some cuttings. We left about the time the group pics were being taken. I didn't know something had happened. You try to do something nice & open your home-- as they say no good deed goes unpunished. Beverly
    ...See More

Fall swap in East Orlando area?

Q

Comments (77)
    I've been catching up tonight with all the other posts I've missed recently and see that we could have a real treat at the swap. If he listens to Marcia, we'll see Ill in a giant squirrel costume! "RE: WFIYG? (september edition!) * Posted by manature 9B Sanford, FL (My Page) on Tue, Sep 4, 07 at 10:41" *I* say thank god for post production software! Without my PaintShop Pro, I wouldn't have photos worth even looking at half the time. And YOU have the patience of a true photographer, Ill...I can just see you now, in your photography blind, snapping away. Hmmmm...in Africa, they build fake hippos and crocs to hide in. What do you use? *me, picturing Ill hiding in a huge fake squirrel outfit, trying to blend in with the surroundings*
    ...See More
  • gcmastiffs
    17 years ago

Lady, all ya gotta do to get a variegated Heliconia is to bring the tastiest dish made with Chaya(G).

I do have an extra of the Heliconia Psitticorum 'El Tigre', which is a beautiful, fast, very vigorous grower. It runs circles around the Albo Striata.

I'd be interested in any Musa,(except Super Dwarf), Katuk, and a PG Dragonfruit. I am becoming very fond of Heliconias too, so please bring some to trade.

Lisa

• coffeemom
    17 years ago

Lady, all the hedys I got from you last swap did great and I loved the different blooms, but having no faith in my ability, I forgot to label the rhyzomes after I planted them. What color is Daniel Weeks? I had one orangish yellow and one salmon/peachy and another ??? set to bloom this week.

• carmiewest
    17 years ago

Here it is what I have. Sorry I don't know the names very well so I am posting pictures and links:

Shampoo ginger
    Hedychium

A baby epidendrum (not flowering now)

A small blackberry lily
    Small Desert rose
    White butterfly pea vine
    3 Grand crinum lily, white, the one that gets 5' x 5'
    orange/yellow bulbine frutescens
    1 rooted cutting dwarf everbearing mulberry bush
    (I have two reserved for arabesque and jardinerafloridiana)

I don't need anything so just let me know if you want them.

Carmen

• garden_hands_feet
    17 years ago

Hi, Ricky!
    Your swap looks so cool, your yard and expertise is wonderful. I cannot travel down to your home, so I am pining away in Winter Park. The swap at my home on Saturday is getting big and exciting. I think that your afficionadoness/ism for BBQ (are those words?) has us firing up the grill for Bruce's famous ribs (I haven't eaten red meat in 32 years, so it's no big deal to me! Ha!) and some maple, honey BBQ chicken of mine. It seems like gardening is my new vocation in my retirement. Keeps me busy, off the streets, outa the bars and outa jail. Hahahaha! Thanks for your shining example of friendly GW plant swaps. I am a newbie to GW and jumped in with both feet.
    Take care,
    Diana

• msmarion
    17 years ago

Carmen I'd love your Desert Rose. What can I bring you?

I lots of blue Walking Iris if anyone is interested.
    Marion

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Diana - You're going to meet some wonderful people and end up with a yard full of plants! We're going to be doing our swap twice a year - March and October - come and visit us if you're down in Palm Beach County.

• chrisaggie
    17 years ago

Does anyone have any interesting variegated plants to trade? I am a variegated nut. A few of the variegated plants I have to trade are variegated thunbergia 'blue sky vine', variegated vanilla, variegated spider lily, variegated st. augustine grass, variegated fireball bromeliad, variegated elephant ear, and variegated strawberry.

• chrisaggie
    17 years ago

Oh, Misti and I recently found a true variegated datura in Texas and brought it home with us. I have start 2 air layers on it, but they will not be ready for the swap.

• growgrow
    17 years ago

Lady, what a list. It felt like a holiday, researching your list of plants and drooling.
    I am so glad that the gass prices went down :-) and you can come.
    I have for you the zingiber creamyway, they are in bloom now, I will have to take picture (I don't know how long will it last).
    I would love to have: katuk, globa schomburgkii, hedychium kewense and dwarf red banana. If it is not too much.
    I have hedychium sagigake left, would you be interested? Or what else can I offer you?
    Veronika

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

chrisaggie - Variegated? You mean like crotons??? Yeah, I've got a few for you.

• Lady
    17 years ago

Lisa I have my chaya in a pot now so it is pretty small and I would hate to strip it of all its leaves. In my yard the tree blew over in any and every storm so I rooted a piece and keep it potted now. I will bring katuk, pg dragon fruit along with some heliconias and bananas for you to choose from.

Coffeemom the salmon would be angustifolia peach, and the yellow could be one of two in my yard. Daniel weeks is my favorite with its wonderful scent. He grows about 4 1/2' in the shade but would be larger with more sun. Blooms are a blush color. This guy blooms more than any of my hedychiums. You will love him once he gets going. The ??? is probably pink if it was from me as I think I brought a couple pinks last year.

Veronika how about the zingiber, curcuma kimono & coco tip and costus erythrophyllus for katuk, globba schomburgkii, h kewense and dwarf red banana.

Chrisaggie I have a xanthosoma jacquinii lineatum or hilo beauty to trade for your variegated vanilla.

Wanna run faster don't worry about the plants you offered before I ended up buying a stutgart.

I am really looking forward to seeing everyone again.

• chrisaggie
    17 years ago

Ldy, I would love to trade some of my variegated vanilla for a xanthosoma jacquinii lineatum. I'll put your name on our biggest piece.

• growgrow
    17 years ago

Lady, ok. It is a trade. I have reserved for you the following: curcuma coco top, curcuma kimono, zingiber creamy way, costus purple queen. Could I switch my initial hedychium kewense to hedychium daniel weeks, I like the one with a nice scent.
    If there is anything else that you like on my list. (I also have some nice begonias, Costus curvivbracteus orange kiss, costus stepladder, etc....) I could see more possibilities on yours :-)
    Veronika

• growgrow
    17 years ago

Lady, I just researched my costus curvibracteatus (orange),and found out that it is mislabled by the horticulturalist and according to "gingersrus" it is the costus productus the orange red variety. If you would be interested, I would trade it for your alpinia nutans narrow leaf.
    I also have a raspberry that grows here in Florida. Any interest?
    Veronika

• carmiewest
    17 years ago

Veronika,

I don't think I have anything that you would like for a trade but if you have a small cutting of the raspberry, I will gladly take it. If not, no problem, I would probably buy it soon.

Carmen

• growgrow
    17 years ago

Carmen,
    those are the little suckers coming out from under the big plant. I will dig one out for you. I would actually like your terrestrial orchid.
    Veronika

• sillybugs
    17 years ago

ok here is my full list (almost) i need a few ID's but i'll save that for another post.

who ever asked for seeds of: miracle fruit,parrots beak,and ylang ylang- please let me know again b/c i cant find the original list i started. thx :)

Veg/fruit seed

kinghorn wax bean

turnip

seranno pepper

great white tomato
    (white beefsteak)

purple queen tomato

sweet bell pepper

orangeglo watermelon

long cayenne pepper

pimiento pepper

lemon basil

mammoth dill

zucchini

Black Diamond Watermelon (florida giant)

Flower/plant seed

stella d'oro day lilly

triumph holly hocks

coleus

Dahlberg Daisy (Thymophylla tenuiloba)

nigella sativa

hosta green/purple flower

grandpa otts morning glory

heavenly blue MG

mixed zinnia

double shirley poppy

nicotiana - only the lonely

orange trumpet vine

cassia alata

white ornamental grass
    (makes 1 foot plumes)

gloriosa daisy

purple hyacinth bean

mixed hibiscus (red/white/pink)

moonflower

ylang ylang

2 Parrot's Beak (gmelina philippensis)

miracle fruit

downy jasmin

white indigo berry (randia aculeata)
    semi-hardwood cuttings

necklace pod (sophora tomentosa)
    * i might have some seeds too

rooted

Pedilanthus tithymaloides variegatus
    (devils backbone)

Breynia disticha "nana" (Snow bush)

2 -flame vine (pyrostegia venusta)

1 -gardenia

1- ZZ plant

2 -stapelia - (Huernia lenewtoni or star cactus)

3 -plumeria (white w/yellow center) *still rooting

2 -yellow cannas

1 -sago palm (Cycas revoluta)

2 -baby orchids

3 -double begonia (pink)

2-papaya seedling

1- bromeliad
    i think the name is
    Neoregelia 'Red Nails' thats the closest match i could find.

4- purple hyacinth bean seedlings

3- Birds-nest Sanseviera
    (Sansevieria trifasciata Hahnii)

1- acalypha chamaedrifolia
    a native -i think. a cute little weedy plant with red puffs

• Lady
    17 years ago

Veronika I would love the raspberry! Two if you have enough. I will need to pick your brain about growing it though. I am saving for you katuk, globba, H daniel weeks, a dwarf red banana, and alpinia nutans narrow leaf (lots). I must tell you that the globba is starting to look a little ratty right now. They go dormant and with the weather change they don't look to pretty.

Chrisaggie I will pot one up for you this weekend.

Sillybugs I am interested in your baby orchids. What can you tell me about them and what are you looking for?

• gcmastiffs
    17 years ago

Susana, yes, I will bring you a Dwarf Budda Belly Bamboo in a 3 gallon pot, no problem! I'll have to hide it from Ricky, since I know how much he loves Boos!(G)

I will pick it up from Tropical Bamboo this weekend.

Lisa

• coffeemom
    17 years ago

Sillybugs, I would love your Bromeliad. What are you looking for???

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lisa - can we cook the bamboo with the Chaya?

• jardinerafloridana
    17 years ago

Lisa,
    Thank you so much for picking up the Boo for me. I won't tell Ricky if you don't tell Ricky...but I think he has a crystal ball and knows already. jejeje
    susana

• carmiewest
    17 years ago

Veronika,

Thank you for the little raspberry. I will bring another terrestial orchid for you.

Carmen

• jardinerafloridana
    17 years ago

Does anyone want any Cryptanthus bivittatus. They are called Pink Starlite.

• growgrow
    17 years ago

Sillybugs, you had me down for the miracle fruit, and the giant stapelia.
    thanks Veronika

• coffeemom
    17 years ago

Jardenera, I would love your crypt. Are there any Broms you are looking for?

• Lady
    17 years ago

Lisa any chance I could get you to pick up a boo for me? I have been wanting a bambusa chungii barbelatta for a while now. There is no one on this coast that I know of who sells it. Their site says they have 3 gallon for $75. I can send you a check out tomorrow if you can do it. I know it is a lot to ask as it means you would have to put the money out and not have my check for a few days and also I imagine space might be an issue so I completely understand if you can't do it. I was going to try Mounts sale next month so I can always still do that.

• gcmastiffs
    17 years ago

Lady, it shouldn't be any problem. The local pick-up price has always been lower than the website price so far, so hopefully you will be pleasantly surprized by the cost. You could either call the owner of TropicalBamboo and have him pick you out a good one, and give him your CC number, or I'll get you one and you can pay at the swap. I know very little about Bamboo. If you are ever over in Loxahatchee, you should check out the Bamboo nursery. It is GORGEOUS!

My email address is GCMastiffs at aol dot com.

Lisa

• JoanM
    17 years ago

Ricky, did you mention needing empty 1 gallon pots or was that someone else?

I wish I could go to the swap but I am selling my house so my weekends are devoted to getting it ready to show. I found a bunch of empty pots that I am going to toss unless you want them. I have some pots to return to Lisa so I could give them to her before the swap.

Wait til you see the pictures of my new place in Stuart! I bought a property from a gardener. It even has a compost bin. I have stuff I can't identify. I'll have to take some pictures soon.

• sillybugs
    17 years ago

coffeemom- got you down for the brom!
    you can just suprsise me :)

lady- i'll send you some pics of the orchids
    (im not sure what they are)
    does your GW email work?

anyone else for stuff??

tomorrow is my last day to pot stuff
    up b/c i'll be busy.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

joanm - Yes, I need 1 gallon cans. Thanks.

• jardinerafloridana
    17 years ago

coffeemom,
    I will bring you some crypts. You don't have to give me anything, but I will take whatever you want to get rid of. I am new and starting my garden so I don't have much exept lots of yard room.
    susana

• jardinerafloridana
    17 years ago

All this talk about Chaya made me do research and now I want some. Does anyone have a cutting I could start?

• gcmastiffs
    17 years ago

Susana, I'll bring cuttings, in soil, of two kinds to the swap. They root very, very easily and quickly. It is one of the very few greens that do well in the summer here. It makes an attractive shrub that attracts butterflies. The more you cut them back, the nicer and fuller they get!

Lisa

• coffeemom
    17 years ago

Susana, you will take what I want to get rid of??? Do you have a truck? See ya there!
    Kristi

• sillybugs
    17 years ago

my mom asked me to post:

does anyone have any red porterweed or other butterfly/bird plants?

• growgrow
    17 years ago

Silly bugs,
    I have the red one, and the traditional purple one, I also have a lite blue low ground cover porter weed, and a coral porter weed (little larger than the regular purple one).
    So pick your color.
    Veronika
    Of the blue porterweed I have some established cuttings in the soil, which I am bringing to the swap regardless. If you want any others let me know, I will stick them to the soil. They root very easily.

• wanna_run_faster
    17 years ago

Ricky, I haven't RSVP'ed yet but I'm coming! So I'll be emailing you shortly! :>

Just a couple of pictures of some things I've got if anyone's interested:
    Bengal Tiger - holds up much better than Tropicana, my personal favorite! Also have red medium, yellow, tropicana, etc if anyone is a canna lover.

Double / triple Datura - have cream or yellow seeds, tons ofcuttings if it would root
    Couple of Canna musafolia - supposed to be tall! Upto 10 or 12 feet! I'll let you know about that next summer! :>

Also have pink rain lillies, yellow walking iris, african iris, purple trailing lantana, etc that I can dig up if anyone wants some. Cuttings from Frosty Pink (out of the 10 that I had this summer this one is a true stand-out! Please let me know if you are interested in anything listed above or previously. :>

• coffeemom
    17 years ago

Sillybugs, I have a coral porterweed the size of a small tree I'm ready to pull out. Let me know if you want me to pot it up.

• wanna_run_faster
    17 years ago

PS I have a decent size pot of orchids (I think either 6 or 8 inches wide), hasn't bloomed for me yet and maybe a small one labeled MC MaiKai (?) if anyone is interested in trading for vanilla orchids or epidendrums (have plain orange - thanks Cindee!), let me know! I can send you pictures, if you want.

• sillybugs
    17 years ago

growgrow - some red porterweed and/or the ground cover one would be great :)

coffeemom- if your getting rid of the coral one anyway, she said she will give it a home.

cant wait to see you all again!

• mistiaggie
    17 years ago

wanna run, we'll trade you your orchid(s) for some tetraploid and variegated vanilla if you would like.

• wanna_run_faster
    17 years ago

Yeah! Misti! Great, I'll put both aside for you. A piece of the vanilla alone is great with me! I'm embarassed to say I don't even know what a tetraploid is (something with 4 chromosomes?) Thank you!

• katkin_gw
    17 years ago

Ricky, looks like I am coming after all, with Kat and Marion. I saw you wanted the white crown of thorns with the big leaves and flowers. I will put a cutting in a pot for you, I also have a two toned yellow & pink, would you want that as well?
    I would like a piece of the big red COT and a trinadad red exoria. :)

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Katkin - I don't have any red that are rooted. But I do have 2 of big yellow Thai hybrids. No problem with the Trinadad Red Ixora. I'm going to take cuttings on Sunday for whomever wants. I have 2 already started in 1 gallon cans along with 3 or 4 Super Kings.

• katkin_gw
    17 years ago

I have the red super king, the trinidad is what I am after. I don't have a rooted white COT, I am just sticking it in a pot now for you, so you could stick a red cutting in a pot for me. :) If the yellow one is solid yellow, I'll take that too, and I am bring you a yellow & pink one. I also went back to HD and picked up one of those crotons for you. :)

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

katkin - not a problem. There's a big red one in the garden, I'll cut a piece of it in the afternoon with all the other cutting. See you on Sunday!

• katkin_gw
    17 years ago

Growgrow, would you like a DrMoy for some of your zing. creamy way?

Sponsored