SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tylerguy7

Ficus Benjamina pruning suggestions

tylerguy7
13 years ago

Hello, I have this Ficus not sure how old, but I am wanting to encourage the tree to grow higher as well as more broad. I don't know if that is there normal growth style. I do know they are very apical dominant so I have been pinching the tips of most of the leading braches to encourage more branching down below. I have been slowly removing branches that don't branch out or are to thin/wrong location and am at a point where I don't know what else to do with it, except wait. If that's the case and nothing else,(pruning wise), can be done then that's fine. I did fert. it with dyna-gro foliage pro about 2 weeks ago. Any ideas suggestions on where to prune or how to get it to a broad/wide canopy that is at least 7ft high. The height and width will take time just want to be heading in the right direction. By-the-way this is my first post and just joined the forum. I have been reading everything Tapla has been suggesting and all the issues that get resolved, this place is an awesome place to just sit and read about plants. I do that usually everyday especially with ficus. Thanks for the help! Also I will be happy to post a few pics if someone would be kind enough to fill me in?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!