SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northspruce

Woo Hoo, New Lilies!

northspruce
18 years ago

I can't find our old Lilies thread so I'll just brag right here that my Lily Nook order arrived today. Some of these bulbs are giant, they look like artichokes... Yikes!

Modern Style

Black Out (3) (these bulbs are about 1/2 lb each!!)

Cheops (3)

Red Strap

Bright Star (also enormous)

Red Dutch

And they sent me a free one, Allegretto. Just in time to plant them in my new rose & lily bed :0) Happy lily dance.

Comments (16)

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Hey thats not fair........all I got so far was potatoes and onions. :-(

I want my lilies toooooooooooooo.
    and
    my dahlias
    and and and.

Should I be doin' the happy potato dance? haha
    Sierra

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    18 years ago

Sierra, you should be doing the French Fry! :D

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

The French Fry haha...

Guess what? my dahlia order just arrived..

So now I'm doin' the dahlia dance haha. Plus I have this whole weekend off......Yipee!!!!!!

Sorry Gil, now back to lilies. Are you going to plant them out right away? We had snow last night. :-(

Sierra

• verenap
    18 years ago

Do the 'mashed potato'... ;o)

No new aquisitions for me yet (since the two trips on the Costco thread)...I've been restraining myself...though Hubby did come home with an Easter Lily and a Cyclamen a couple weeks ago. (Such a good Hubby...:-)

Oh wait...I lied...I went to Walmart the other day (shopping for toys...Brayden turned one on the 19th) and when I got home I found a 10 pack of 'Princess Margaret Rose' Glads in the one shopping bag...aparently DH had managed to sneak them to the till and bought them, all under the radar. (Did I mention I have a good Hubby??)
    So since I'm rather inexperienced with glads...I know now to do a mild bleach rinse right before I plant them, but can I plant them now? Is it too early or too late or OK or what do you think??

Oh, and my lilies in the lily-bed are starting to poke through the ground and one of my Uncharted Water daylilies is blooming!! (It was potted in the green house...got it at Costco.) It really is very different from the picture on the box... :p It's actually a completely different color...the one on the box was a vivid, almost fucia purple color, with a bright yellow and lime green center...it's actually more of a mauve color with a pastel yellow and light green center...Oh well. I really like it anyway.

Mmmm Lilies...Bunch of instigators!! I think I may have to go visit the greenhouses...;-)

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Ahaaaaaaaaa.....apparently all I have to do today is say what ever plants haven't arrived and they show up at my door. Toooooo funny.

My Dominion seedhouse order just arrived. The giant fleeceflower and the 3 tenuifolium lilies. :-) are those lily bulbs supposed to be that small?

Ok, dare I say my Veseys lilies haven't arrived yet. LOL!

Its like Christmas here today!

Sierra :-)

• verenap
    18 years ago

Oh...I'm so very jealous!! I want some new LILIES!!!!!! and SEEDS!!!!!! and any other plant I can get my hands on!!!!! (I guess next year I'll have to try my hand at ordering... ;-)

Verena (who's being visited by the little green monster)

• northspruce
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Verena, don't feel too bad, I'm being visited by the little green Visa bill :0 I've still got roses coming! Online shopping is sooooo fun... but guilt ridden.

Sierra, I don't know about your lilies in particular, but my Lily Nook instructions say that some species lilies have tiny bulbs.

I went out and planted them all after work - what a beautiful day.

Oh and also in my LN instructions pamphlet - light was shed on a question I had last year... my two Asiatics "Corrida" started growing, then one collapsed into black mush and disappeared. I found out from the pamphlet that this is caused by botrytis fungus and that the plant should grow back the next year - well I couldn't see this happening since it utterly died back to the ground when it was just starting to grow. But today I went and looked, and both of them are coming up again. They are starting to make babies too! :0) Joy!

• prairierose
    18 years ago

Verena, I planted my glads out this past weekend. Following my grandpa's advice - he said to plant them when the buds swelled on the poplar trees. If you plant them 6" or so deep, it takes quite a while for them to come out of the ground.
    Connie

• luv2gro
    18 years ago

Should I take a chance and plant out my orientals yet? I planted them last year because they were sprouting up so big and promptly got the tips froze, leaving me no lilies for last year. I was going to wait until I saw them peaking up before I plant my new ones.

Probably time to start thinking about my fancy new glads, too. So much to do, so little time left. Did I tell you I spent way too much time on the computer this year and didn't get things done quite on schedule? What we do to ourselves.
    : D

Shauna

• luv2gro
    18 years ago

Got off my duff (my dad used to say that all the time) and, since I last posted, went out and planted my new rhubarb plant and my glads. Decided to hold off just a bit longer on my lilies. I don't see any of the ones from last year poking up, yet. Wow, accomplishment. That feels better.

Shauna

18 years ago

My lilies came yesterday:
    Russian House (because dh's family is Russian)
    American Journey (because they went to the States first)
    dotcom - guess why! :)
    Yellow Princess (3)
    Emerald Temple

Now i need to find a "Canadian" lily for dh's family emigrating to Canada. I'd have to get all kinds of British and French lilies for my side of the family, so maybe i'll just stick to a Canadian one if i find it! LOL

Anyhow, they're all planted out today. I extended my bulb bed over the weekend, and today i divided and relocated the dianthus (Arctic Fire, i believe) to the edge of the bed, and planted all the lilies except the yellow ones in there. Those went into another bed that could use a splash of yellow up against the cherry tree in summer.

• valleyrimgirl
    18 years ago

Marcia,

I have 'Canadian Sunrise'.

{{gwi:740430}}

Of course, there is a lily I have called Toronto, that is Canadian but does not have Canadian in its name...

{{gwi:700789}}

I also have America...

{{gwi:740433}}

Do any of these interest you?

Brenda

18 years ago

Oooh, Brenda - Canadian Sunrise! That's pretty! I like Toronto too, and i'll probably buy it some day when i'm theming my family (my sister and brother live there, and, yes, they are nuts! LOL).

• Laurie_z3_MB
    18 years ago

Yes, Brenda, that Canadian Sunrise is gorgeous! Is it an Asiatic or LA hybrid?

• valleyrimgirl
    18 years ago

Canadian Sunrise is an asiatic. It grows about 3' tall. Toronto is the same. America is also asiatic but slightly shorter.

If we are talking Canadian or 'cold'...

Daylily, Red Mittens
    Daylily, Prairie Blue Eyes
    Lily, Avalanche
    Lily, Blizzard
    Lily, Antarctica
    Iris, Dwarf Arctic
    Lily, Brandon Blushmark
    Lily, Sydney (small town on the #1 highway between Brandon and Winnipeg)
    Lily, Doeskin (for the biggest pest in my yard)( love the lily though)
    Hosta, Canadian Blue

For American... Iris, Yankee Skipper
    For French...Iris, French Wine
    For Irish...Iris, Irish Moss

I just got Lily, Eric last fall. I have a nephew Eric, so I also gave my sister one too.

Just a few I found as I took a quick peak at the list of perennials I have here.

Brenda

18 years ago

I have tulips and a tiarella named Rosalie for my sister, Irene tulips for my mom, and i had the hosta 'Frances Williams' for my other sister, but it disappeared somewhere. :) This year i want to get the rose 'Topaz Jewel' for my daughter whose birthday is in November. Oh, and Phlox 'Dave' for my daughter's boyfriend.