SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

how do you store pix on your hard drive

heres how i do it ...

i upload the pix to a cannon folder ... the uploader lets me choose what info is automatically attached to the pic .... and mine allows me to include a date ... so its something like

DCS 20110906 001 ... meaning sept 6 2011 ... and the random 001 .. which is good if you take a general pic.. and some close ups ... which would end up 002 .. 003 etc

while the pix folder is open .. i open my database ... and i copy the plant name [presuming its in my collection, of course] .... so i copy this: Pinus strobus 'Pendula' .. and paste it in front of the former, pasting over the DCS [which is some cannon thingee] part, ending up with this:

Pinus strobus 'Pendula' 20110906 001

Pinus strobus 'Pendula' 20110906 002

Pinus strobus 'Pendula' 20110906 003

this way ... if you make a pix folder on your hard drive... all your P s pendula will all be in name order and then DATE ORDER .... 5 years down the line .... you will enjoy the growth phases of the plant ... as the pix will be in date order ..

within your conifer pics folder.. you start with folders for each species ... such as larix.. pine.. etc ... so when you are looking for a specific plant.. you flip thru folders until you get right where you want to go ...

and then some day.. 10 years later.. your 5000 pix crash your hard drive.. lol ... not to mention the 1000 family pix.. lol .. gotta have priorities ...

the real key here.. is to start this early .. so unlike me ..... you dont have to go back and rename 5 years worth of pix .. as a winter project ...

i think i will start a new post on this ....

ken

Comments (7)