SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thecityman

winterization of fig failed...why?

I was so proud of my hard work last fall. I pulled my figs together tight with rope. Then I wrapped my 2 Chicago hardy figs with several layers of the thin insulation that comes in rolls and is used to insulate metal buildings, mobile homes, and sometimes brick. (its comparable to a quilt but non porous). After going around the 4.5 foot tall figs several times, I tied the standing roll bundle together. I then put a tarp over it all and tied it at the bottom. THen I took a 55 gallon drum and turned it upside down and put it over the whole thing. I don't see how I could have done more.

Well, with fingers crossed I took everything off my plants this weekend and was broken hearted. The seem to be dead, at LEAST all the way to the trunk-and there was a lot of limbs. But here is the strange part. We did have some -2 degree lows this winter so it may have got them, but they seemed to have rotted more than frozen. All the bark had come loose from the limbs and the limbs were all soggy and rotten....you could dig deep into a limb with nothing but your fingernail. And there was mildew and mold all over them.

My question (finally!) is what did I do wrong? I suspect it has to do with a lack of air flow and/or creation of a dark, damp environment that created mold and rot. But if I had allowed air flow, it would allow COLD air flow, and therefore freeze damage. Any idea what I did wrong or was it just a bad winter? I really fell in love with figs last year and I really want to learn what I did wrong so I can start new ones and get them through winter. Thanks all.
Kevin

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022