SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fawnridge69

WANTED: Ricky's Swap - May 20th - Sunday

fawnridge (Ricky)
17 years ago

Since we're only 7 weeks away, I thought I'd start a list.

Here's what I've got:

5 - 3gal Costus, unknown species - Pink Bract, grows to over 8' - these are all three plants in a pot.

7 - 1gal Caesalpinia pulcherrima - mixed: yellow, orange, and pink in one pot.

15 - 1gal Caesalpinia pulcherrima - solid: mostly pink or orange (tags lost in a storm), but 3 are definitely yellow (with tags.)

2 - 1gal Senna alata Candlebush - seedlings, multiple plants in each pot.

2 - 1gal Cassia bahamensis - seedlings, one plant per pot.

5 - 3gal Uncarina grandidieri - from cuttings, full with leaves.

I have more stuff in the mistbed right now, but it's either not sprouted or not rooted. Surprises when you get here!

As far as Crotons go...there are about 20 - 3gal cans of rare, shade only, mostly red for true collectors. None of them are in spectacular condition due to hurricanes, cold, etc. but once they're in the ground you won't be disappointed. As far as cuttings go, yes I will cut for you, but only late in the afternoon after we eat and tour the garden. Just ask, but bring your own baggies.

What I'm looking for: ferns - but not Boston, Macho, or Fishtail. Bromeliads - Neoreglia spp. only, nothing that needs to get deadheaded.

I'll be posting the usual invitation link in a few weeks where we can list food, etc. Yes, I'll be cooking pulled pork and those famous Boca Boys beans.

Comments (150)

• cindeea
    17 years ago

Veronika
    Can I get some of that fern that you said is great in hanging baskets?

• growgrow
    17 years ago

Of course, Cindy.
    But which one, I have many many ferns. I think I mentioned it about the pyrosia longifolia, but there are many others. I will take some pictures tomorrow, and post them, so you can pick!!!
    Veronika

• Related Discussions

WANTED: Ricky's May 4th Swap-a-que - swap list

Q

Comments (150)
    Katkin, I have enough tilandsia for you :-) I don't care what type of dragon fruit it is....right now I am into edibles and the dragon fruits is such a weird one...it will be a surprise :-) Actually the first time I had a dragon fruit was at a swap....the first time I had a mulberry was a few days ago from a plant I got at a swap...I learn so much and try so many different things because of gardenweb:-) Veronika, thank you so much....I looked up the the dragon fruit and itlooks cool I can't wait to get it:-) And my hubby has been wanting a lobster claw for awhile now. We bought some seeds once....the birds thanked us for lunch :-)
    ...See More

WANTED: Ricky's Swap-a-Que Invitations

Q

Comments (8)
    New Post-New Updated List Epidendrum Ballerina Fireball 1. Helen 2. Rose Scented Geraniums (2-3 new rooted cuttings per pot. 1. Ms Marion 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. Bilbergia Louise 1. 2. Bilbergia Nutans 1. 2. Passie Incense 1. 2. Passie Subarosa 1. Vanilla Orchid 1. 2. Buttercup bush(nice size) 1. 2. Sprekelia Seeds (Red-Formosissima) 1. B'Fly Gard 2. 3. 4. If anyone wants to fill these empty slots, please let me know. I don't want to bring stuff I have to hide in other peoples cars again! LOL (did I really do that???) Especially newbie gardeners. I am always happy to help people get started! So jump in. AV StPaulia 'Wild Mustang' 1. Lady (For any other AV lovers, I can start leaves if interested below is my current collection) *Wild Mustang is a pale lavendar with deep blue/purple fantasy. (I showed a very blury pic on the other post) *Georgia is a pink/magenta bloom. *Ma's Midland Fantasy is white with lavendar fantasy. I have a *Blue NOID and another *Pale purple blending to deep purple NOID-both are Optimaras.
    ...See More

WANTED: Ricky's Swap and Grunt - Sunday Oct. 22nd

Q

Comments (151)
    I have the red super king, the trinidad is what I am after. I don't have a rooted white COT, I am just sticking it in a pot now for you, so you could stick a red cutting in a pot for me. :) If the yellow one is solid yellow, I'll take that too, and I am bring you a yellow & pink one. I also went back to HD and picked up one of those crotons for you. :)
    ...See More

WANTED: Ricky's Swap...continues on

Q

Comments (22)
    Julie, somehow I missed you! I'm sorry, I'll start you some new ones, remind me for the next swap. Katkin, I'm sorry everything is a blur (I just had a beer and I am still stuff from Ricky's!) was it you that I still owe a pink naked lady aka belladonna? Is there everyone else that I forgot? I didnt realize the begonias would be so popular. Just wait for spring I will have about 15 named varieties! :> Someone (Chippi was it you :> > left a turks cap. It's beautiful, let me know if it's yours. MsMarion, we MISSED you!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you everyone! It was great seeing all of you again! I had way too much fun!
    ...See More
  • wanna_run_faster
    17 years ago

Ricky, thanks for the ylang ylang seeds. I ordered some from India but it's been about a month and so far nothing. Not sure if they were fresh or not. I saw ylang ylang trees at Mounts around 6 feet tall for $25!!! but regardless of what Cindee thinks I have a tiny lot (1/4 acre!) and no room so I'm planning on bonsai'ing them!

Hi Lady, I'll bring an alba for you, hopefully it will root. I would love a piece of your blue butterfly.

Hi Cindeea, I have some plummies for you...a couple small cuttings that I'm trying to root. I'm also thinking about cutting back a few that are getting too tall. I also have a seedling of "oval white" and "plumeria jamacesis" for you. My little styrofoam cup plummies have inflo's this year! I got one to bloom last year...a nice rainbow. We'll see what happens this year! I got about 15 new varieties from Hawaii but they're still rooting, maybe I'll have some cuttings in the fall of those. I only have one passie -- the ceurala x alta (sp?) that I got from Arabequese, beautiful,fragrant, flowers but doesn't seem to get any bigger! Thanks for the offer of the vanilla orchid. Chris and Misti gave me starts of the regular and the variegated and they're both holding on...I'm still waiting for real growth though!

My latest kick is epiphyllums and fragrance -- where is Joan Mary the queen of fragrance? :>

• wanna_run_faster
    17 years ago

Anyone interested in walking yellow iris and canna's (misc)...I am going to pull these out so if you want them, they're yours. Please let me know if you do, otherwise I'm going to offer them up on the plant exchange page.

• coffeemom
    17 years ago

I'd love to try some canna's. Is there anything of mine you might still want?

• treefrog_fl
    17 years ago

Anybody want red sugar apple trees? I have 4 in 3 gallon pots that need homes.
    Also rudbeckia triloba, 4 pots of clumps that can be further divided or planted as they are.
    Malabar spinach seedlings? Red and /or green. Popping up thickly in their pots from last year. Need to thin them out.

• greenacresgirl
    17 years ago

tree,

I would love the malabar seedlings! (I keep meaning to order some seeds but havent).

I am not sure that I have much to offer though, stokesia and ageratum seedlings and some plants that I cant identify but will bring for any takers.

Michelle

• Lady
    17 years ago

WRF I thought you wanted clero quadriculare, I may have a clero ugandense (blue butterfly) baby. Will check around for you this weekend.

Treefrog I am so glad you are going, I am really looking forward to meeting you. I would love some of your stuff if you see anything on my list that you like.

Veronika the hilo beauty was a maybe from my first post and it looks like it is suffering way to much from the trampling it got earlier and now this drought. I have you down for a metalica, ae fosteriana, ae little harv, lime zinger and possibly the pink torch in exchange for philo mamey, philo gloriosum, heliconia green thumb and ??? how is the mulberry doing? Did it root? Did I leave anything out, does this sound correct to you?

Cindee do you want bananas? Talk to me.

• wanna_run_faster
    17 years ago

Ooops, Lady, I want everything...that's my problem! Either one is fine!

• cindeea
    17 years ago

Cindee wants bananas. I commented on Lisa's post on the Discussions. I know nothing about growing them Lady, so I would need some guidance. Thanks!

• wanna_run_faster
    17 years ago

Trini1, r u still coming? The b. lako seedlings looked like they were dead but has started to send up shoots again. It's yours if you want it! Plus I have a runner for you (check my list...I forget the name off the top of my head, maybe golden bamboo?) Let me know so I bring 'em if you're coming.

• growgrow
    16 years ago

Lady: That sounds correct. But please, don't disturb your torch ginger, if it is not ready for it. I have two philos for your, and the green thumb. I am sorry to say, that the mulbery will most likely not make it, but I arranged with Tony from Orlando, to bring us some cuttings from his fabulous weeping mulberry tree to the swap.
    WRF: I have the yellow dragon, and clero ugandense for you. Do you want anything else in exchange for the bannanas and heloconias?
    Trini: I have a pommegranate and costus stenophyllus
    Cindy: I have the two ferns for hanging baskets for you.
    Tony: Fern, and heliconias that take sun.
    Ricky: Ferns
    I am also bringing a lots of give aways for the starting gardeners.
    Did I miss anybody out?
    veronika

• nikkers
    16 years ago

I'm pretty new to the forum and have never been to a swap, but I have a bunch of bromeliads that were given to me by a neighbor. He has them as a hedge along his fence, they are about 1 foot tall, light green and bloom a beautiful bright red. I have no idea what they are called, but in case anyone wants some, I can bring a bunch. I also have a lot of seeds from a lily like plant that looks like a cross between a lily and and amaryllis. The flower is red, blooms in early spring, about 6" across. The leaves look like amaryllis. I'll bring those too for whoever may want to try some. I also have some aloe (vera, I think) I will bring. If anyone needs some red pinecone ginger, I can dig some up also some heliconia that has red and yellow blooms. I don't know the name, but someone called it false bird of paradise, I can dig some of those too if anyone wants some. I really don't have that much and I'm new to FL gardening. I have a lot to learn.

Jo in Ft Myers

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Here's my updated list-
    Epidendrum Ballerina Fireball

1. Helen
    2. Veronika
      Rose Scented Geraniums (2-3 new rooted cuttings per pot.
    3. Ms Marion
      Bilbergia Nutans and Louise
    4. Tropicalfreak
      Passie Subarosa
    5. Tropicalfreak
      Vanilla Orchid
    6. MsMarion
      Sprekelia Seeds (Red-Formosissima)
    7. B'Fly Gard
      Small Wine Plumie
    8. Tony
      AV StPaulia 'Wild Mustang'
    9. Lady
      I still have Buttercup bush(nice size), scented geraniums and amaryllis seedlings I am bringing. And what ever else I find....Can anyone use a small bag of Citrus/Avocado fert?
  • growgrow
    16 years ago

I have a nice chunk of black dwarf bamboo, that I can dig up and bring to the swap.
    Lady, what hand made stuff do you favor in particular: I have all bunch brought in from Europe, and I would like to bring you some.
    Veronika

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Cindee save that fert. for you naners, I understand they aren't fussy and like lots of it and water.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Thanks Marion, I will. I found it unopened. I think I bought it back when I had a key lime growing.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jo - Bring the Bromeliads, I have lots of space for them!

• Lady
    16 years ago

Veronika I like all kinds of hand made stuff. I am always attracted to things that I can not do myself. It is hard for me to pinpoint a type as I seem to like so much. In the garden I currently have stuff with a romantic feel and things with a natural look. For my patio I like stuff that has an island feel or vibrant colors. I am also interested in your dwarf black bamboo, do you know the variety?

Cindee I will have some naners with me but not too many this time. Are you looking for a dwarf or standard, and are you going more for looks or taste?

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Lady-not knowing much about naners, I'd go for tasty and easy! Whatever you think, I am not picky, at all. Is there something esle I can bring you besides the AV?

• greenacresgirl
    16 years ago

I wish I had neat things to bring like everyone else.

Is there any point in bringing common things like extra basil seedlings?

Michelle

• growgrow
    16 years ago

Michelle,
    don't worry there is never enough basil in my garden, and I would love some.
    I am bringing bunch of stuff extra for all of you starting gardeners, that will start your collection for next time.
    Veronika

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Michelle-would you like a buttercup bush?

• mistiaggie
    16 years ago

Still debating if we're going to make it or not. Don't have really anything to trade and not looking for more. We'll see.

• JoanM
    16 years ago

I have the same problem Misti. If I bring home any plants I will get my head handed to me. I still have stuff in pots from the last swap. It is tempting to just go for the pulled pork. Maybe if I hide my car so I can't put anything back in it. LOL

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

Greenacresgirl, I just transplanted some green and red malabar seedlings today. They should perk up overnight, then I'll know they're OK. I'll bring some malabar seeds too if anybody wants some.

Lady, So glad you'll be there too! I'd love a little red banana pup if you still have one. What can I bring for you?

Anybody want brug cuttings? Peach Blooming Fool (peach X candida), yellow one that also blooms a lot, white one, peach versicolor, and "Whiskers"

I have a few bird pepper plants in 1 gallon pots. Nice looking.

I'll bring some surprises along too.

I do like epidendrums, have only the red/orange one right now. hint.

I too really don't want to bring home much new stuff.

Looking forward to seeing you all.

Treefrog

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Treefrog-It will be soo good to finally meet you. How about a little Epi Ciliare to sweeten the pot for you. I'll see if I can tak a piece of mine, it's really too large for the pot it's in and I don't have a bigger one for it. You have been so kind sharing seeds with me over the years that I'd just like to bring this for you if interested.
    {{gwi:757162}}

• trini1trini
    16 years ago

WannaRun,
    I will be there. Sent you and email but don't know if you got it.
    Do you still want cuttings of the Tahitian Gardenia?

Cindee, if you have an piece of that orchid, would love to try it. Please check my list to see if there is anything you'd like. My list is up top.

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

Thanks Cindee, what a cutie! But tell me, what does she need?
    I'm not blessed with whatever it takes to keep many orchids happy. I need EASY, forgiving ones.
    It will be wonderful seeing you too.
    Kinda like meeting old friends for the first time.

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Anyone have any miracle fruit seeds or cuttings or however they are shared? Always been interested in trying one after hearing how cool they are.

Thanks
    Tony

• growgrow
    16 years ago

Tony, I may have ripened miracle fruit berry by Sunday, I will bring it for you. You can try it, and safe the seed. Although it takes a while to grow into producing size.
    Veronika

• Lady
    16 years ago

Cindee just don't forget those brownies! :)

greenacresgirl I could use some new basil. See anything on my list? I am running a little low on the bananas but have lots of other stuff.

Treefrog I do have one real small dwarf red banana. I usually bring big 5' plants with me but the last couple trades no one wanted real big one to transport home and they are a pain to divide. Did you see anything else you would like? I can bring you a little purple epidendrum. I am interested in your malabar spinach and I shouldn't say this cause I don't know where I will fit another but I would love a red sugar apple.

Trini do you have anymore colocasia rhubarb? I have just the spot for it.

Veronika I am bringing you a surprise! Found something sprout up that I am pretty sure you want. LOL

I will be bringing some stuff not on my list. Everyone needs a little suspense. I am can't wait to see everyone and talk about our gardens!

• sillybugs
    16 years ago

does anyone have any
    Lime or lemon seedlings/cuttings
    or any succulents to trade?

-mel

• Lady
    16 years ago

Veronika did you see my question about your boo? I would love to hear more about it.

Joanm and misti I need new plants like I need a whole in my head but I am traveling for almost 3 hours to come. I love plants and plant people as I am sure you do so come visit. Joanm come for the pork, I'd love to visit with you while you eat :)

• cindeea
    16 years ago

UH OH...will someone tell lady I am bringing banana bread instead of brownies.....

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

Tony,
    I'll bring a few miracle fruit seedlings.
    They are tiny and just dug up and in little peat pots.
    Got any dwarf mulberry?

Lady,
    Red sugar apple and malabar spinach for you.
    I'd love a little red pup, and I don't have a purple epi.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Hey guys, I just found 2 little Hibiscus Acetosella seedlings coming up, if any of you are interested and I also have seeds. This is a nice red-maple looking plant with dark rose colored flowers.

Treefeog-the Ciliare is as easy as your other Epis. Trini-I have a small piece of it for you too.

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

TreeFrog,

yup, I got dwarf mulberry 'branches' for rooting. None started as yet. I will try to bring fruit for sampling as well. I will bring a lot of em.

thanks
    tony

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Anyone have an avacado that produces the BEST fruit, doesnt get too huge, disease and insect resistant etc etc?

Avacados are like matos to me, but wifey loves em so I figured I should ask.

Anyone have an abundance of scented geraniums not of the common rose or citronelle fragrance?

Let me know what we can maybe trade for the stuff above.

I plan on bringing heirloom tomato seeds as well.

tony

• growgrow
    16 years ago

LADY,
    I am sorry it took me a while to reply to your question. The bamboo is a dwarf black from Fairchild Tropical garden (my husband bought it about 15 yr. ago, and paid then 50$ so it is supposed to be a great variety, unfortunatelly we don't know any more than that. I am posting 3 pictures, it is about 12-15 ft tall, and very tightly clumping (the whole patch is about 3by 4 ft, and it took 15 years of growth. The birds absolutelly love to hide in it, and we get many birds nests in it during the year, including painted buntings during the winter). It is very easy, low maintenance plant.

Do you like it?
    I am so excited about your surprise :-)
    Looking forward to sunday.
    Veronika

• growgrow
    16 years ago

I forget to mentioned, that it is great for stakes for tomatoes and all plants (that need staking). Like your own stake plant growing in the garden. I love it!!!
    V.

• growgrow
    16 years ago

Does anybody has a papaya seeds or seedlings (REd Lady or SOLO)?
    Elderberry edible?
    I would love to trade for it?
    Veronika

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Veronika, your bamboo is awesome! Very nice that you get the buntings, too.

• greenacresgirl
    16 years ago

Cindya,
    That buttercup bush looks so cute. I dont have much space though. Do you think I could keep it small?

Lady,
    Did you have any luck taking a cutting from the lady of the night? I have a couple basil and stokesia seedlings for you.

Michelle

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Veronika,

I will have some seeds from hawaii for low bearing papayas. I wont use em, you are welcome to em.

Be sure to remind me there, I already put em in the pile of things to bring along.

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

Veronika,
    Did you say a tomato stake tree?!
    Ooooh.

I have 2 papayas trees I'm bringing.
    Long, red fruit. Delicious. Got the seeds from Kat last fall (after I ate the papaya of course).
    I'll put your name on one.

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

Or both, if you want two!

• growgrow
    16 years ago

Great Treefrog,
    would you like a chump of my tomatoe stake plant (bamboo)?
    :-) It is really usefull around here....
    I would love the papaya. If you still have any red sugar apple left I would like one. (This are self polynating right?, I already have one regular one growing, have not had fruit yet).
    What else can I bring for you?
    Veronika
    Tony, are those self polynating variety?
    I would not mind having 2 varieties growing. I may have a avocado seedling. It self started under our avocado tree, it is about 2ft now. Our tree is the large fruit with smooth skin, very very tasty!!! I will look at it more closely tomorrow and see if it can be dug up.
    This (I think) is the variety: http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/avocado-viewer/pages/Simmonds.htm

• cindeea
    16 years ago

"greenacres is the place to be, farm living..." sorry sorry! Lol, The buttercup is very easy to keep trimmed. It will send up a few suckers but manageable, not terribly invasive. I keep mine no bigger than what you see in the pic and it sooooooo drought tolerant. Butterflies love it too. Will bring one for you. Hack the heck outta it and it shapes up the way you want it to.

Veronika-Tony does NOT want that avocado....I DO!!!!!!!!!!! lol Besides he has no room in his small car!!!

• growgrow
    16 years ago

Cindeea,
    You guys can fight for it !!!
    I will save some seeds after this season, and put them in pots. These are very easy to sprout!!! And we have plenty for everybody!!! LOL
    Veronika