SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnplace

landscape fabric over grass?

johnplace
12 years ago

I have a very large mixed tree/shrub border around my backyard loaded with conifers (some of them interesting, some not so much). It's also loaded with grass, since I didn't create a bed per se.. I just planted stuff directly in the turf.

Anyway, things have gotten to the point where I can't mow between plants anymore, so I need to kill the grass and mulch the entire area (either wood mulch or stone).

I don't think roundup is an option, as I think I'd kill many of my plants. It's a large area with many plantings, completely covered in grass, so I think it would be next to impossible use roundup safely.

I'm sure someone will suggest laying down cardboard.... with mulch on top... but I would need a very large amount of cardboard. I'm not saying it can't be done... but it wouldn't be easy.

I tried using a layer of brown packing paper with mulch on top this spring on part of the yard and that proved to be a complete waste of time, as some of the tougher weeds busted right through.

I do have a roll of landscape fabric... Yeah, I know it's evil. But what I want to know is if pea gravel (or the like) over landscape fabric will kill the grass. Is this possible? Or will the grass simply plow right through it?

Comments (22)