SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parrothead_fa

Should you prune fig trees to encourage a good crop?

parrothead_fa
16 years ago

I have a brown turkey fig which has in the past, produced massive amounts of extra large fruits. However, last year, the crop was very dissappointing, and most of the figs didn't start to mature until dec, when the nights were too cool for them to really sweeten up. It made a few during the summer, but just handfuls here and there, nothing like the limitless supply we had been getting the previous 2 years. The tree had had several branches when I planted it, these have grow up and out until it is now about 6 ft tall, and very well branched, with the branches spreading outward from the center kind of like a huge, open shrub. I have done nothing different to it, it recieves the same waterings and fertiliser that it always has, and always looks very green and healthy once it's leafed out in the spring. Just very few figs last year. I was wondering if fig trees should be pruned at all, or if removing the smaller side branches might help fruit production. This is my first experience growing figs, ande I'd sure like to enjoy buckets full of thse big sweet 3" figs like we did in '06. Any advice would be appreciated.

Dave

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County