SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindeea_gw

Publix Tradition...gone....

cindeea
15 years ago

You know the Pilgrim Salt and Pepper shakers from Publix? Did you ever get you a set? Mine are from 2002. If you did get yourself a set, treat them dearly! They are now out of production!! Since we are going to Chicago for Thanksgiving, I thought I'd take the classic S&P shakers that Publix puts out every year. A set for Dennis's daughter and one each for his sisters. I've been checking every week and still no Pilgrim Thanksgiving ware....so yesterday I went to Customer Service and asked when they were getting them in. They usually kick off the season by being prominently displayed the first day of Nov. The woman came back to tell me that all the Publix holiday figures have been discontinued!! OH NO! I love these guys! I also have the Christmas Snowmen (2004) and Santas (2002)and I got the Italian Chefs last year. Each Christmas set is dated. I'll bet they show up on EBAY by the dozens!

My pilgrims have been on my table since Halloween! I put the Santas and Snowmen in my china closet today! I am so sad they won't be selling them any more....ahh another tradition gone by. Mine still make me smile!

Happy Thanksgiving

{{gwi:763152}}From Misc. Stuff

Comments (13)

• trinigemini
    15 years ago

Those are adorable.

• beth7happy
    15 years ago

at least Publix is still running a very beautiful holiday adv on TV. But...it's too bad that you can't find the little Pilgrim, Cin... I have a set from Hallmark..ohh...must go back at LEAST 25 years, or so... a neighbor gave them to me...such a sweet little gift..just a token, but you know...she's since gone to be with the Lord and I'm so thankful for having known her...especially every Thanksgiving when I bring out the little Pilgrims. We never know how much a small little gift can mean to someone. BTW...maybe we should write to Publix and ask that they bring back the Pilgrims!!! :)

• solstice98
    15 years ago

I have the Pilgrims, the Santa set and the Snowmen. I heard last year that they were discontinuing but I don't think I believed it! I wonder if they'll come back next year with a different design?

• cindeea
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Beth, I also have a Santa Salt & Pepper that were 1st anniv presents to my parents. They set on the table ONLY Christmas day. Rest of the time they are safe behind the glass in the china cabinet.

Kate, I am wondering the same thing. The Italian Chefs that we're part of their Italian summer campaign do not have dates. Still they are as cute as the Pilgrims and Santas and snow people.

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Oh man, I missed the chefs! Dang!

• msmarion
    15 years ago

Cindee no need to bet. There are lots of S&P's on ebay.

Here is a link that might be useful: Check it out!

• carmiewest
    15 years ago

Hi Cindee,

I only have the Pilgrims and I was thinking on getting the other sets :-( I have them near my stove and they make me smile everytime I look at them.
    Carmen

• cindeea
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Holey Sox, Marion!! They are all over the place on EBay! I sure wish I would have seen it coming, I would have bought up a bunch.

Kate, I do have an extra Chef set, but since we are broke for Christmas, I was planning to send to my good friend in StLou. I bought her the Pilgrims a few years ago and she has been so happy with them.
    They may have them again since they aren't dated. I'll keep my eyes open for them. Here they are...along with the "Snow People" and "Mr and Mrs Santa". Sorry it's blurry. My camera does not take clear artificial light photos...but you get the idea.
    {{gwi:763155}}From Misc. Stuff

Boy, this makes me love my salt n peppers even more. I think I have a collection, now! lol Dennis's daughter sent me trout shakers...1/2 the fish front diving in and the back 1/2 flipping out. I will have to be on the lookout for unique shakers in my travels from now on.

• solstice98
    15 years ago

If you get to Orlando, there's a restaurant on Edgewater Ave called Shakers you would like. Guess what they have lining shelves on every wall? Yup, salt and pepper shakers. Hundreds of them! Some are ancient, some are funny, all of them make me feel like it's 1956. And the food is awesome - don't miss the meatloaf sandwich!
    Kate

• msmarion
    15 years ago

Be careful what you wish for! LOL

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

I bet they have some more cuties in production to take Y'alls hard earned money.

• julieyankfan
    15 years ago

I saw a brand new in the box set of them at an estate sale. Would have bought them if I knew they were discontinued.

I've been very careful with items like that being made in China, because of all the complaints of lead in the paint and then you put food on/in them. Could that be the reason they stopped making them?

Check yard sales and thrift stores. You're bound to find some. Or maybe a group to trade with, like on Yahoo!. I was collecting the Wade Pet Shop figurines that you get in Red Rose Tea and only needed one more for a complete set and a lady in the Wade group on Yahoo traded me for one I had two of.

Julie

• junkyardgirl
    15 years ago

I bought mine and a set for each of my sons on sale year before last. Last year, all they had was leftovers on sale for half price, and they went quickly, along with the Christmas ones, which I believe are also out of production.

I have the shakers and napkin holder.