SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pezzuti9

need cutting care question answered

pezzuti9
15 years ago

Here is what I have going on at this time. I have four cuttings that I have set up in a mixture of peat and vermiculite in clear plastic cups. Done this many times.

Just had 4 cuttings go the full gambit and root well with this same set up. They are now on the windowsill in larger pots doing very well.

Now to the part I need to know. I received the four cuttings just a short while ago. They where in the mail (transit) for about 14 days. I placed them in the mix stated above in the growing tray, which is on top of my heat matt with an external thermostat set at 74 degrees. This is also confirmed by a room temp thermometer I have placed in the same plastic growing tray as well.

These four cuttings started opening up their buds just after a week or so but after they started opening up I noticed that the very tiny leaves looked stressed. By the way every once in awhile I place an inverted large clear plastic tub over the top of the matt as well as the tray holding the cuttings. I remove it daily for a few hours then while it's off I mist the cuttings with water. I also have two plastic cups filled with fresh water in the tray as well to supply moisture.

The leaves are looking like they are going to dry up if so is there any chance of the cuttings still having a chance of starting to develop roots? The cuttings still show green when the top bark is thumbnail scratched. Do you think that the cuttings have used up all their stored up energy pushing out those small leaves? (TELL ME PROBERLY NOT)- I hope!!

I have had cuttings during the years grow leaves then much later put out roots but this is the first time I faced these conditions mentioned above.

Looking for feedback

Thanks

Lou

Comments (8)