• gardener365
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ginkgo biloba 'Elmwood Pillar' aka 'Elmwood'

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

Cool fellas, thanks for sharing.

Stephen, how old is that 'Everton Broom'? It looks VERY choice.

I have a handful of ginkgo's but all of them are so small I didn't think they were worth sharing. Maybe I'll post a fall picture or two.

-Will

• Related Discussions

Is this a Ginkgo Biloba?

Q

Comments (2)
    Ginkgo leaves have dichotomous venation, each vein divides into two near the leaf margin. All veins originate at the point where the leaf is attached to the petiole. Pretty distinctive in identifying them, in addition to their fan-shaped leaf.
    ...See More

Ginkgo biloba 'Pendula'

Q

Comments (3)
    below the box you type in ... is a box labeled : Optional Link URL: copy/paste your link to that box... and then the box below ... add a description sometimes those boxes only appear once you hit preview.. and then appear .. go figure on that ... and then you have a clickable link ... doesnt look all that pendulous to me either ... ken Here is a link that might be useful: link
    ...See More

Ginkgo pruning

Q

Comments (9)
    As I mentioned in the beginning, I prune these Ginkgo's every year and the result is that I will get very good and healty scionswood for propagation. Indeed, it looks very strange when these all are pruned, it looks a bit "Bold" for a while now but when the new growth start it's a fiesta to see how they all are growing well. I show you the result of pruning at the following photo's: 'Barabits Nana' 'Chotek' 'Globosa' 'Jade Butterflies' 'Mariken' 'Thelma' 'Tubifolia' 'W.B.'
    ...See More

Ginkgo biloba �Bernheim Broom�

Q

Comments (17)
    NEVER DID ...oops .. mine suffered wildly in last summers drought.. not sure if it will return next spring ... i think .. offhand.. i got it from a friend who works at hidden lakes ... i wonder if they have a mature one in their collection.. and if anyone who was on the regional this summer.. snapped a pic ... like some true ginkgo nut like byron??? are you out in the ether byron???? .. lol ken
    ...See More
  • bluespruce53
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's about 7-8 yrs old now Will.

• mesterhazypinetum
    13 years ago

Stephen, some news from Hungary to the collection, found in a small Vienna city lane

Ginkgo biloba Wiener Walzer
    Published 2010 Mesterhy in the Conifer Treasury of Hungary
    Breeder/Found Orlóci László
    Introduced Fenyõkert Nursery Budapest HUN
    Description Heinz Hetych, former director of the Schönbrunn Gärten AUT made a great number of seedling from the ÂMaria Theresia Tree of Vienna Botanical Research Institute at Belvedere Gardens. Some of them were planted in the City of Vienna, and later was recognized by Orlóci László, that the tree is a narrow long branched compactous tree.

Photo documentation
    {{gwi:793633}}
    Photo author Blogspot

Ginkgo biloba Hetych
    Published 2010 Mesterházy in the Conifer Treasury of Hungary
    Breeder/Found Orlóci László HUN
    Introduced Fenyõkert Nursery Budapest HUN
    Description Heinz Hetych, former director of the Schönbrunn Gärten AUT made a great number of seedling from the ÂMaria Theresia Tree of Vienna Botanical Research Institute at Belvedere Gardens. Some of them were planted in the City of Vienna, and later was recognized by Orlóci László, that the tree is a short branched pendulous globose tree.
    Photo documentation
    {{gwi:793634}}
    Photo author Blogspot

Zsolt

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Sweeet Zsolt!

Ginkgo biloba Gnome

Ginkgo biloba bonsai 1926

Ginkgo biloba Magyar

Ginkgo biloba species Espalier

Dax

• mesterhazypinetum
    13 years ago

Ginkgos of Mr. Barabits

Ginkgo biloba Katlan = Umbrella
    Published 1995 Mesterházy Zsolt in the Conifer Treasury
    Breeder/Found Barabits E. HUN
    Introduced Barabits E. jr. Nurs., Alsótekeres HUN
    Description A witchs broom with an umbrella-like habit
    Photo documentation

Photo author Esveld

Photo author Blogspot

Ginkgo biloba Pyramis =Pyramidata
    Introduced Lõvér Pinetum Sopron HUN
    Description A dwarf pydamide about 2 m. Original plant in the Barabitss Lõvér Pinetum Sopron, HUN
    Photo documentation
    {{gwi:793651}}

{{gwi:793652}}
    Photo author Mesterházy in the Tóth Gyula Nursery, Gödöllõ HUN

Ginkgo biloba Pillar
    Breeder/Found 1983 Barabits E. HUN
    Introduced Barabits HUN
    Description A witchs broom of narrow habit and slow growing
    Photo documentation
    {{gwi:793653}}
    Photo author
    {{gwi:793654}}

Ginkgo biloba Barabits Sztráda = Globus
    Introduced Alsótekeres Nurs., Siófok HUN
    Description A regular ball-like habit clone, about 2 m diameter. Very decorative as high graft
    Photo documentation

Photo author Blogspot

Photo author Treemail
    {{gwi:793657}}
    Photo author Mesterhazy Pinetum

Zsolt

• ryan_tree
    13 years ago

Dax....that's not your Ginkgo bonsai is it? If it is I hate you ;)

• dcsteg
    13 years ago

Ginkgo biloba 'Jade Butterfly'
    {{gwi:793658}}

Ginkgo biloba 'W.B.'
    {{gwi:793660}}

Ginkgo biloba 'Mariken'
    {{gwi:793661}}

Ginkgo biloba 'Spring Grove'
    {{gwi:793662}}

Ginkgo biloba 'Chi Chi'
    {{gwi:793663}}

Ginkgo biloba...not sure... purchased without tag 8 years ago. Grows 1 inch (2.54 C.))a year with open loose growing habit.

{{gwi:793664}}

Ginkgo biloba 'Chase Manhattan'
    {{gwi:793665}}

Ginkgo biloba 'Munchkin'
    {{gwi:793666}}

Ginkgo biloba 'Green Pagoda'. Not much here, but considering it was eaten to the groung by rabbits last winter it is making a come back. These trees are really resilient and can take a lot of abuse.

Dave

A little history on this tree.

The Ginkgo tree is the only living representative of the order Ginkgoales, a group of gymnosperms composed of the family Ginkgoaceae consisting of about 19 members with its earliest leaf fossils dating back to 270 million years ago in the Permian period, so in the era of the dinosaurs (Jurassic 213 million years ago) it already existed. Fossil leaves and vegetative organs show that at that time there were several species. During the Middle Jurassic there was a great increase in species with a maximum diversity during the Cretaceous period (144 million years ago) in areas now known as Asia, Europe and North America. It was common and widespread for a long time.

Due to geological cataclysms only three (or four) species were left (Ginkgo adiantoides, Ginkgo jiayinensis and Ginkgo gardneri) in the Tertiary (65 million years ago). The extinction of the dinosaurs as potential seed dispersers of the large seeds may also have influenced this decline, which is in line with the fossil records.

About 7 million years ago the Ginkgo disappeared from the fossil record of North America. It was gone from Europe by about 2.5 million years ago.

Scientists thought that it had become extinct, but in 1691 the German Engelbert Kaempfer* discovered the Ginkgo in Japan. The Ginkgos had survived in China and there they were mainly found in monestaries in the mountains and in palace and temple gardens, where Buddhist monks cultivated the tree from about 1100 AD for its many good qualities. From there it spread (by seed) to Japan (around 1192 AD with some relation to Buddhism) and Korea.
    Ginkgo-seeds were brought to Europe from Japan by Kaempfer in the early 1700's and in America later that century. Most of the earlier trees raised in Europe appear to have been males. The first recorded female tree was found near Geneva in 1814 of which scions were grafted on a male tree in the Botanic garden of Montpellier where the first perfect seed has grown. Now the tree grows in many countries all over the world as an ornamental tree.
    {{gwi:793667}}

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Dave, you have some super specimens.

Thank you Zsolt!

Another Ginkgo Elmwood Pillar

Ginkgo Elmwood Pillar

Ginkgo Elmwood Pillar

Dax

• taxo_man
    13 years ago

Just a regular one...

J

• mesterhazypinetum
    13 years ago

Wow Taxo!
    Whats that beauty?
    Zsolt

• taxo_man
    13 years ago

This is actually just a regular ginkgo, or at least according to the place I got it from.. I does look a little bluer than the others pictured.. It could be because it gets almost all shade?

J

• User
    13 years ago

In each of the last two homes I've lived in, it was the first tree I planted. This one went in three years ago.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• noki
    13 years ago

IMO nothing can beat the form of the natural tree. So cool.

• mutantplantlover
    13 years ago

Gingko biloba 'Variegata'. Closeup. This one is fairly stable.

• ginkgob
    13 years ago

Announcement of the my new book "Ginkgo biloba L. 1771 - All about ginkgo (or maidenhair tree)" Vol 1-3. By the beginning of 2011 will be finished manuscript (prepared for publication) books 1 and 2 (out of 3) - total 610 pages, about 1000 color illustration (photos, tables, graphs...).

When writing this book I had many great contributors from around the world (for example): Peter Del Tredici (USA), Zhi-Yan Zhou (China), Katarina and Pavel Hrubik (Univ. Nitra, Slovakia), Dusan Hòrak (CZ Republic), D. van Gelderen (Esveld Nurs., Holland), Harold Greer (USA), Ginkgo Museum Weimar (H.G. Becker, Germany), Gert Fortgens (Trompenburg Tuinen & Arboretum, Holland), Ender Stewart (Arrowhead Alpine, USA), Natural Resources Canada (Canadian Forest Service) and Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Laura M. Ferguson (Ph.D., Scientific Equipment Group, Olympus America Inc.. Market Strategy and Olympus America Inc.., USA), Zsolt Mesterhazy (Hungary) etc.....(about 120 person-experts, institutions, nurseries...).

I still have no publisher, but I hope to find it.

For Contents this my books click link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Contents book

• whaas_5a
    13 years ago

You guys have some of the best specimans I've ever seen (compared to what I've seen at botanic gardens).

Dave, can you send me your address? Don't worry I'll take good care of them, lol.

All I had was an 'Autumn Gold'

{{gwi:763756}}

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Beauty, whaas.

Taxo, I know a guy who lives around the corner from a liquor store where a blue ginkgo grows and most of the grown seedlings are also blue. I was sent scionwood a long time ago of one of its' seedlings and had a propagation of he so aptly named, 'Liquor Store'. Unfortunately it died. His seedling had generous-sized leaves and had a slight resemblance to, Acer japonicum; the sex of the sapling was, also, unknown.

Dax

• salicaceae
    13 years ago

Bob - I would love to get a copy of your book someday. Do you need a reviewer?

I just noticed that the ginkgos on campus here in Gainesville, FL are displaying great gold color, just now. They were backlit by blue skies and were festooned with spanish and ball moss. I should post some pics. I'm growing the straight species, 'Elmwood' and an unknamed WB here. Anyone growing 'Ross Moore'?

• jeannettyzqg_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Is there a difference between Ginkgo biloba 'Elmwood' and Ginkgo biloba 'Elmwood WB'?

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    13 years ago

Anyone know of a retail source in the eastern USA for Ginkgo biloba 'Elmwood Pillar' or possibly a mail order source, but I'd prefer something a bit larger. I found a wholesale nursery - Lake County Nursery in northern Ohio - that may have them if I can find someone local to bring it in for me. I have a spot for one of those.

Marshall

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Marshall, you're best friend in the whole wide world (that's me) has a beefy one-year graft. I'll save it until I hear anything different.

Bob, please let us know when the book becomes available.

Dax

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    13 years ago

Dax- I received your email and Thanks - I'll be in touch.
    Marshall

• ginkgob
    13 years ago

Dear "dcsteg" please let me know by e-mail ginkgo.begovic@gmail.com.
    Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ginkgo biloba L. 1771

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jeannette...It seems they are the same plant, as far as I know...also listed as Elmwood Upright - Elmwood Pillar - Elmwood Fastigiate...someone needs to make up their mind what the correct name is for this one! ;o)

• greenlarry
    13 years ago

Hmm I was expecting to see large specimens of the type, but I'm guessing such examples are rare?

• dybbuk
    13 years ago

Here's a pic of my 'ross moore'. Definite weeper. I staked it to 12 feet and now letting it do it's thing...

Here is a link that might be useful: ross moore

• dybbuk
    13 years ago

'dj's bowtie'

Here is a link that might be useful: dj's bowtie

• salicaceae
    13 years ago

Dybbuk,

Do you know of a source for 'DJs Bowtie' or 'Bullwinkle'? I would even trade for scions. I ordered a 'Ross Moore' for spring. What a great plant! I am more interested in variants in leaf shape than dwarfs though.

Jason

• dybbuk
    13 years ago

Davidsans Japanese Maples has 'Dj's Bowtie' and Bethlehem Nursey has 'Bullwinkle'. He also has 'Rocky'. I have to find my other pics of 'DJ's Bowtie'. Every season the leaves seem to be different but super unusal.

• sam268
    13 years ago

Hi Dax,

If you have a extra elmwood kicking around, please let me know. I been searching for one for years.

Thanks
    Sam

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Hi Sam,

Contact Bethlehem Nursery.

Dax

• texjagman
    13 years ago

Still looking for a US source for Tremonia......please

mark

• dybbuk
    13 years ago

I got mine from Yellowwood Rare Plants. I think they may have disappeared though....

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

'Tremonia' isn't a very good columnar form in my opinion.
    It doesn't have a good shape because it doesn't make as many side branches as other cultivars like 'Fastigiata' and 'Princeton Sentry'
    Ginkgo biloba 'Fastigiata'

• PRO
    Katsura Gardens
    13 years ago

Was browsing around some back pages and found this post. I love ginkgos and grow around 20 different cultivars. One that has eluded me is Elmwood (Pillar).The picture that Dax posted has got me hunting again.Below are some photographs.

'Majestic Butterfly'

Jade Butterfly
    {{gwi:639696}}

Mariken
    {{gwi:793674}}

Yakima
    {{gwi:793676}}

Saratoga

Autumn Gold

A strange and rare occurance: Seed produced on Autumn Gold
    (summer 2010)

I don't know what clone this might be. I was buying some nursery stock from a nursery being liquidated and this was being grown in the sales area. quite nice!

Thats all I have pictures of now . Will take more in the coming seasons.
    john