SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wisconsitom

I've seen the larch;^)

wisconsitom
15 years ago

Was at "The Centennial House" in Madison, Wisconsin yesterday as part of a horticultural field day. This house, now about 120 years old, is on the University campus and was formerly the residence of the schools' dean. Much of interest on these grounds, gardenwise, but Ricks' post about his dead topped Norway spruce prompts this post. There is a large larch tree there, in a prominent location. This tree lost most of its' crown in a storm a few years back, and the curator decided to leave it standing with only its first one or two tiers of branches remaining. It has since put on much growth on these remaining branches. It is an oddity in this form, but still providing aesthetic interest, as the few branches still on the tree are quite large and spreading. I know a picture would help, but I forgot my camera, even if I was savy at posting pics.

At any rate, it does show that even a conifer that has lost nearly its' entire top still can function in the landscape.

It was said that a large pocket of decay was at the point where the breakage occurred, and that heavy snow caused it to fail. Seems just a bit rare, to me anyway, to have a member of the pine family succumb to decay in this fashion. Also, odd that a deciduous conifer would be the one to catch too much snow.

It is my understanding that these grounds are open to the public pretty much 24/7. If you're ever in Madison, take a look. Very nice gardens, including many dwarf conifers and such.

+oM

Comments (13)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH