SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

2 Brown Turkeys - pot 'em or plant 'em?

Annie
18 years ago

Hi people,

I'm from originally Southern Cal. My grandparents and parents had mission figs and brown turkey figs, as well as Pomgranates, Japanese Persimons and all kinds of citrus fruit. We didn't eat candy - we had fresh fruit! Years later, I lived in Louisiana for ten years and had a nice bushy tree in my backyard there. Love figs! Made Preserves and and baked fig cakes at Christmastime. C'est bon!

Well, now I live in zone 6b-7, mid-Oklahoma - in the prairie-timber area. I have seen them growing around here in a few yards and on old farms. Even got some tasty fruit last fall from a lady near here - yum!

I live on a sandstone ridge that faces the southwest - sandy-loam soil. My soil is ideal for figs, but we do get the ocassional bitter cold temps in winter (arctic blasts in teens at night).

I just got two Brown Turkeys, one with a green bud on top.

I am going to pot them up for now and keep them in the basement until spring, but am not sure which way to go - whether to grow them in containers or in the ground?

I am a bit crippled up and lugging heavy potted trees, even with a dolley, is not something I really want or need to be doing, even for some luscious fresh fruit!

I've read a good many of your posts on here, telling how to insulate them for winter. That may be the best method for me, too, but will I need to do that every year or just until they have become established? I don't see anyone insulating theirs around here, but not sure they get fruit every year either.

I guess, I will just have to try it and see how it goes. Maybe take some cuttings this summer, just in case.

Any input and discussion here would be very welcome.

Thanks you guys!

~ Annie

(SweetAnnie4u)

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations