SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brettay

winterizing experiment: bring em' in the garage and forget em'

brettay
13 years ago

So this year I tried an experiment. I brought my plumeria into the garage in the fall and forgot about them until now. They are still in their pots and none of the leaves were cut off. The garage averages around 40-45 degrees. No water or misting was given. Here is how they fared:

The two dwarf pink singapores look almost exactly the same as when I put them in the garage 3-4 months ago. They have lost maybe 1 in 30 leaves, but otherwise they are healthy and green. Absolutely no spider mites are present.

My celadine and confetti have lost all of their leaves. They actually had a lot of evidence of spider mites on the growth tips, but the tips were still green and looked pretty healthy.

Neither had any squishy or dark/black colored branches. It will be good to get a head start on the singapores in the spring, which in Northern California is right around the corner.

I just thought people would like to have a reference point for one possible approach to plumeria. What have I learned...

1. Plumeria need zero water in the winter if kept in a cool, dark area.

2. Singapores don't need to have their leaves cut off in the fall prior to storing them for the winter.

3. In the future I will remove the leaves of the plumeria that go dormant over the winter to prevent spider mite infestations.

-Brett

Comments (2)