SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fairysoapgirl

Pod Setting Rate - what do you think???

fairysoapgirl
15 years ago

Hi all,

I have been pollinating like a mad woman this year, and was wondering if I am getting a good "rate of return". :o)

I pollinated 389 times and got 77 pods so far (give or take a few that are still setting). That's real close to 20%. Is that good or bad? I started pollinating at about 8-9am, but have been getting up at about 6:30am these days, as it takes me a while to get my pollination schedule and wires together (not to mention taking pictures). So, now the time is a little more like 7-7:30am. And when it is going to rain, it takes FOREVVVVVVER, because I have to put a little tape rain hat on each pistle... geesh.

A FEW OTHER THINGS

When they say something has "HOT" pollen, does that mean it will fertilize just about anything? Seems like Mildred Mitchell could fertilize a fence post.

Usually, I remove all the pollen (collecting it anyway), so there is no chance of stray pollination. It gets kind of windy, so I didn't want to take any chances.

Those cute little katydids turned into BIG katydids and were starting to eat all my anthers! I mean, it was weird... each katydid had his own plant... never moving to another one, but he would eat ALL the anthers off the flowers. Greedy little hogs. I had to get rid of them (sorry mother nature).

I am REALLY excited about some of the crosses, and hope the pods make it all the way.

Blue Elf x Glenn Fletcher Memorial

Little Blue Belle x Blue Elf

Little Blue Belle x Star Child

Lavender Fantasia x Musical Medley (hard to set for me - lots of trys)

Hi Ho Silver x Musical Medley

Navy Blues x Yankee Doodle Blues

Palace Garden Beauty x Musical Medley

Create Your Dream x Musical Medley

Half Moon Key x Musical Medley

Cranberry Baby x Velvet Eyes (this is a Dip and a Tet - but I covered the stamen... so could this really work out, or will the seeds be sterile?)

Honky Tonk Blues x Yankee Doodle Blues

Thanks for any help!

Comments (6)