SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okie_smith

Dawn redwood condition and tree ring questions

okie_smith
12 years ago

Hello all,

Im building some decorative tree rings around the trees down mt driveway. One of the trees is a beautiful 25ft dawn redwood that we love to pieces. It has bermuda grass right up to the base right now. I started pulling the grass, which is very eep rooted, but I really didnt want to dig or use chemicals to get rid of it. I soaked the area and poked around and couldnt find any tree roots close to the surface, but the bermuda grass roots grow pretty deep in this area and I am worried about damaging the trees roots whilst pulling it.

So I htink Im going to move on to plan B, just cutting the grass reeal short and covering the area with newspaper and mulch about 4-5 inches deep. There will be no soil going into the tree rings, just mulch.

Do you think this plan is the best for protecting the trees roots, or does anyone see any potential problems, or make any other suggestions?

Also the leaves on the bottom half of the tree are starting to brown at the tips . We have had a very hot, dry summer so far here but I have been religious in watering the trees leaves, and soaking the ground to the dripline 2-3 times per week. Can anyone hazard a guess as to what the problem could be and how to remedy it.

Comments (6)