SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

72-hour rock garden(a story w/ pics)

One thing I have noticed the more I collect conifers is that I have slowly began to recognize previously deemed-unusable sections of land as blessings of space and opportunity. Down by the street there used to lie a wide, narrow, weedy patch of hard earth, basically a huge ugly scar of gravel, compacted dirt, dandylions and every other noxious weed you can imagine all flourishing in an area that was hard to maintenance and even harder on the eyes.

I had planned actually at one point or other at just having the area paved so that I wouldn't have to deal with the weeds but fortunately for me, they wanted too much to do the job and I procrastinated. Then slowly - perhaps as I realized some of the plants I was still holding in pots weren't going to fit in my current plants - I came up with the idea to just continue the slope-side rock garden I had built this last Winter.

Suddenly I realized that really there wasn't THAT much work involved - I didn't have to remove anything, all I had to do was add materials and plants. I brought in 12 yards of 'weak-soil', hoping to stunt/slow growth of the conifers planted in it, spread it about and gently sloped it down from the previous beds. Then I tore apart the rock wall that supported the upper beds, dispersed them amongst the dirt and made rough, natural sections. I did spend several hundred dollars at lowes for the bottom retaining wall. Then finally I added plants. Many of them were 'free' since they were largely bought in the months/years before. I ended up spending about $400 more then the paving would have cost - a happy compromise!

Then the weather report came out and it called for much warmer then normal temps in the following week.(we've had a VERY mild Spring/Summer). Suddenly I realized I had a lot of work to do in very short amount of time.

Well one of the many great benefits I have learned about gardening and landscaping is that the more you do, the better your work ethic, endurance and effeciency get. I worked grueling hours, basically devoting 10-12 hours of my days off from work to some very physical labor. It was almost dark last night when I finished spreading the final few yards of bark and gave all the plants a good drink.

I took some photos this morning as the sun begins to climb and the mercury rises. While I know I have a lot of watering ahead of me to keep everything alive, I felt invigorated as I was eating a bit of chocolate cake for breakfast(you got to have rewards!). Really nothing makes me as happy as gardening and the process of working towards a final result. I hope you find(or have found) the same happiness - it's such a great, healthy hobby.

A few before and after shots:

The overall picture. Spring 2009.

This morning.

Spring 2007. I was proud of *that* work at the time. My first weeks of 'gardening'.

Today.

Before the most recent expansion. What a horrendously ugly spot - bye bye!!

And after.

This last Winter. The start of the new beds.

This morning.

Winter 2009-2010.

Today.

A handful of closeups.

Thanks for taking a look at my work.

-Will

Comments (16)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH