SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Planting one Delphinium - What could go Wrong?

organic_kitten
10 years ago

I wanted to plant a delphinium in a place where it would get dappled sun to give it the best chance to survive. I found what seemed to be the ideal place, and egan.

First dig the hole...Nice. a few inches down, hit a root about two inches in diameter. Get the maddock and draw back and hit repeatedly and finally slice pretty much through root. Get the loppers and finish cutting it. Now pull and twist and finally cut through the other end of the root. Start digging again and hit what? A pipe! Oh yeah. DH had run that pipe years ago for gray water. Hadn't been used in at least 7 or 8 years...hmmm. come forward a few inches. dig again. Clang! hit a rock.

I am going to plant it right here whatever it takes. Start digging out rock. finally get shovel and lift the piece of sandstone rock out. It's almost triangular, 2"X7"X5". Now, finish digging hole. Mix composted manure, peat moss, lime, bone and blood meal, compost and soil as directed . Beautiful! Get delphinium. Plant in nice rich improved soil. Water plant and go into house sure that you've planted it as well as possible.

Next morning, self satisfied in a job well done, go to check on the plant and it is gone. Something has dug out all the amended soil. Raccoons! Not good garden helpers. No longer feeling satisfied, start to push dirt back in hole in disgust... and find plant. Doesn't look very hurt, so plant it again with what's left of amended soil and see what happens.

kay

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting