SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

echinaceas new versus old varieties

I know many of you grow Echinaceas so thought I would start another thread on the subject.

Although I've been a gardener for most of my life until 2007 I never had Echinaceas in the garden. I bought a few both new and old varieties late summer 2007, they didn't winter for me (as a rule we have WET winters). Late spring 2008 I bought quite a few both new and old varieties these all wintered and are now up and growing (DRY winter), some of these plants were very small when I planted them so I'm hoping they will bulk up this year.

Some of the Big Sky varieties have malformed flower petals but if you don't want to view these up close some of these different shades they come in might be just what you need for that certain spot. Until I find a variety of the same shade I'm going to keep mine.

What really got my juices going over Echinaceas was not only the different flower forms and colors they come in but the fragrance as I mentioned before Twilight's scent to me was just like a rose.

I have quite a few varieties now some I will delete when I find a better one and I know I'll be adding more as they come available, I can hardly wait for Coral Reef and Flame Thrower.

My Michaelmas Daisy bed got hit hard this past winter lots of empty spots so this is where the Echinaceas will be going along with the different varieties of Shasta Daisies I seem to be accumulating.

I really think the problem with keeping the newer varieties has to do with how wet they stay throughout the winter not which Echinacea in particular.

As to which I think performs better it's too soon to tell in my garden but although it didn't form it's top knot (first year in) Double Decker grew and bloomed gangbusters.

Lets hear from others, their likes and dislikes, is it the color, the shape of the bloom, which one really looks nice with ? As far as pictures go, most of you will have them blooming before I will so maybe someone can start a thread of the NEW and OLD over on the gallery side when they start blooming or.... if you already have pix start it now.

Annette

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!