SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

Hospice

solstice98
17 years ago

I lost my mother this week. Those of you who saw my entry on the Discussion page in the 'Happy Valentines...' posting already know that. I entered the "Red Geraniums" poem there that seemed so appropriate for her life. She was so funny and tough right up til the end. On my birthday (12th) she said I could relax because even though she was ready to go, she promised not to die on my birthday. Then on the 14th, she said it would be rude to die on Valentine's Day! Rude. We all laughed. And cried. On the 16th, she calmly and peacefully slipped away.

The reason I'm writing this though, is to praise the people who work for VITAS Hospice. After 6 days of hospital care, the move to hospice was amazing and wonderful for Mom and for the whole family. They showed her complete and total respect, never making her uncomfortable or forcing her to do anything she didn't want to do. The lights were dim and the atmosphere was calm but not depressing in any way. And there was always a nurse or chaplain at hand to comfort the family too. We were encouraged to bring in anything that might make her feel more peaceful, including pets.

If you are a caregiver or facing a health crisis with a family member, please don't hesitate to call on any of the hospice organizations. Even if you are providing care in your home, it's likely you can get someone to come out for a few hours a day to help. Talk to your doctor about it. We would have broken the bank to make this happen for Mom, but Medicare covered all of it. The whole experience was truly a miracle.

I'm terribly sad of course to have lost my mother, although I'm glad she is no longer in pain and that she didn't linger. She would have hated that. She was 89 years old, but still mentally sharp and a real character. She posted here occassionally as the Crane Lady but in recent years just lurked as I was posting. She enjoyed all of you.

Kate

Comments (8)