SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
turak_gw

Apple seed germination

turak
16 years ago

I have some questions about apple seeds: are they a wild seed or not?

In other words, can they germinate out in the wild without humans helping them to sprout, or do they need us to germinate?

I have read about people throwing seeds out the window, and the next thing you know: the next year there is a healthy growing sapling outside the window. Can this happen with an apple seed? or do they need to be germinated indoors?

Basically, what I am asking is: that if I plant an apple in the ground, and walk away: can it germinate by itself? If somebody just throws an apple seed out the window, will it germinate?

The reason I am asking is that there is a young wild apple tree growing right next to the back door of our summer cottage 60 miles north of Montreal. Where the heck it came from I don't know.

I have also heard about how some trees use birds and animals to spread their seeds by letting them eat their fruit, and the seeds pass through an animal's digestive tract and is dropped to the ground so the seed uses the animal or birds droppings as a fertilizer, and how some seed need to be passed through a digestive tract in order to spark germination.

Did a passing bird do this? Our summer house is on top of a hil, and in the middle of a wild forest that has no apple trees for miles. Or did someone eat an apple, and one of the seeds just happened to fall there?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus