SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nman_gw

This is My Pumpkin Story!!!

nman
18 years ago

In Dec my seeds arrived from T & M. I was very happy that day Christmas came early. I eagerly opened the packet of DillÂs Atlantic Giant pumpkin seeds. I was very impressed the seeds were about twice the size of regular pumpkin seeds. Must be why they grow so big?

I really wanted to plant them but knowing how busy the holiday season is I waited. Along came Jan 3rd, I saved some 4L milk jugs that should be big enough for them. Cut the jugs in half filled them with soil. (Always a good day when playing with soil)Looked at the seed jacket for planting instructions. Plant 6mm deep at 20-24C. Germination usually takes 3-12 days. Wow! 3 day that cannot be true.

After a bit of care, the time wait to see them grow. I always hate the wait period. Did I get a bad lot of seeds? Is the house too cold? (Etc Etc.) I drive myself nuts during the germination period. Jan 8th I see a little seedling poking itÂs head out. YEAH!!!! Later that day, Oh no I see another seedling in the same container. Just my luck I put the 2 best seeds in the same container. The next day I went to move one of the seedlings. To my surprise the feeder root was about 9 cm (4 inches).

IÂm very impressed with DillÂs Atlantic Giant seeds. I cannot believe they grow that fast. These vines are going to be monsters. (IÂm a little scared) I know I started way too early. I hope the seedlings donÂt outgrow their containers. I also have them growing in my porch which arenÂt ideal conditions. Very surprised how fast they grow. By plant time I could have a 1 M (3 ft) vines. Hmmmmmmmm 884 Ibs is the present day record. Maybe IÂll beat it could be a good year for pumpkins because of the warm winter we are having. Very frightened about global warming but that is another story....

Happy Gardening I know I started too early.

Comments (5)