SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gibsongirl_gw

Funniest or strangest cultivar name?

GibsonGirl
20 years ago

What's the funniest or weirdest or most intriguing/creative cultivar name you've ever come across? (Gotta wonder what the hybridizer was thinking of sometimes!) It can be anything: tree, shrub, perennial, bulb, rhizome, corm, or annual!

(no fair making any up! ;-)

I'll start. My vote goes to Hosta 'Outhouse Delight' which appears in Tony Avent's 'Plant Delights' catalog. Description: "H. 'OutHouse Delight' (the ugliest hosta in the history of hostas) is a breeding breakthrough. The narrow, upright 6" long x 1" wide leaves emerge white, then assume a green stippling in the center. The color holds during the summer on this slightly stoloniferous hosta. The 12" wide clump is topped with ugly lavender flowers in midsummer."

(honorable mention goes to Ranunculus 'Brazen Hussy'. Described as having "rich bronze foliage and shockingly bright golden flowers." Back in the 1980s I saw this mentioned in a British gardening book and was to intrigued by the name that I determined to track the plant down. Ended up having to import it from the UK. When it finally made it to my garden, I was disappointed that it was not only so small flowering, but that the leaves so precisely matched the color of soil or damp mulch that they were hardly visible. The plant grew at a snails pace for several years and then finally expired. Brazen Hussy, indeed; she was more like a Shrinking Violet or a Wallflower!!)

Comments (45)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County