SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
conifornia

Bark of Coast Redwood has been stripped

conifornia
16 years ago

I have about 15 Coast Redwoods (Aptos Blue) growing on my property. They were planted about two years ago from 1 Gal pots. Today they're about 4-5 feet tall and have experienced some decent growth.

Apparently, around this time of year male deer seem to go after the smaller trees-saplings. They shake and rattle the trees with their antlers as a way of making noise and attracting Doe for mating (Rutting Season). Last year I had two Redwoods knocked over, bark partially stripped. I've since caged all of the young trees and it seems like they'll recover. One has put out a new leader.

This year, despite my efforts another Redwood has been knocked down and the bark has been stripped all the way around the tree (360 deg) beginning about 10 inches up from the base.

I know that time will tell how it will fair, but I'm curious if anyone knows whether the damaged portions of a small Coast Redwood can survive if the bark has been stripped all the way around? (At this point the crown still looks healthy). Will it still be able to put out new growth from its crown? Or will the upper part die off?

Many thanks for any input.

Conifornia

Comments (4)