SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
collin001

Hybrid Oak?

Collin001
12 years ago

Hello I have a bit of a dilemma. I had the opportunity this fall to pick up some acorns which were lying on the ground. The tree itself was unusually straight with fairly attractive bark. It was late fall and the tree had lost its leaves.

I'm not sure whether I've picked up a hybrid oak or a filbert. The leaves are closer to filbert but the tree is definitely not bushy.

The largest of the seedlings pictured below has the smallest root. Go figure. The tap roots are enormous on these things. I was thinking the nuts never had the traditional oak caps on them. So far the leaves strike me more as a filbert than oak. The leaves are becoming more jagged by the day. Still this leaf shape is nothing like a bur oak.

The parent tree is single trunk in form. Not bushy in the least with no spindly branches. All branches are very stout like oak. I asked the owner of the property how long the tree has been there and I was surprised by the answer. Only 14 years from seed and it is hovering around 12 feet in height.

The owner complained that all the nuts germinate every year. I found that hard to believe as all the acorns I've taken over the years were sterile duds. She said 95 out of every 100 acorns germinate. I didn't believe her but played along and she gave me some off the ground. Now that all six seedlings have germinated I'm inclined to believe her.

There aren't many oaks in Regina. There are no tree type hazels to the best of my knowledge in town. The oldest trees are the watered ones by the museum and legislature. We're zone 2b so I didn't think either would grow well here. Do you recognize this oak?

Comments (17)