SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tcharles26

Pinus Remota (papershell pinyon) W/ PICS

tcharles26
16 years ago

Here are some pictures I took of Pinus Remota this afternoon. It is in fact remote. Pictures of the largest tree were south of Rocksprings, per resin's instructions. I had to tresspass for 100 yards or so, but the tree was so huge it could be seen from Fwy.

Better pics actually further southeast, approx. 5 miles west of leakey. (Edwards and Real County respectively) I didn't find stands dominated by the pinyon. You find them mixed in vry sporadically with much more prevalent juniper. It makes them hard to spot while driving on very narrow, twisty, steep, roads in hill country. I suggest taking someone to drive while you look. Neither site is too far from Lost Maples State Natural area in vanderpool or even garner state park.

Absolutely beautiful tree. Worth the pain to find it. I was too tired to take pictures of the largest taxodiums Ive ever seen in bandera. But Ill be back. These are all 1.5 to 2 hours from my place north SA.

Also note Perry in "Pines of Mexico and Central America" describes remota on page 61 as "3-8 meters" I think the big tree I found could be more that 24 feet, and thats just me goofing around for one afternoon So I'm pretty sure this Perry guy is wrong on that. Only relatviely large trees had immature cones.

{{gwi:781498}}

{{gwi:769844}}

{{gwi:781502}}

{{gwi:781504}}

{{gwi:781505}}

{{gwi:781507}}

{{gwi:781510}}

Comments (18)