SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sharons2

Dicentra & Thalictrum Combo?

sharons2
18 years ago

How well do you think Thalictrum would work in front of Dicentra spectabilis to hide the hole it makes after it dies down? (It may be that my Bleeding Heart may get a little too much sun where it is, but I do like it there and don't have a shadier spot available for it right now.)

I would like something that would have nice foliage all season, grow in full sun to part shade, be about 1' to 1 1/2' tall when the Bleeding Heart is blooming, and then shoot up to hide it's spot afterwards.

With Thalictrum aquilegifolium, "the foliage stays attractive" and "the leaf structures are usually about 1-2 feet high, and the flowers stand on stalks about 3 feet high". And another note online says that "Meadow Rue is one of the last plants up in the spring, but it shoots up and, all of a sudden, it's in bloom." I am wondering if that might fit the bill, but it also says that it blooms in late Spring, so it could shoot up and begin to bloom just while the Bleeding Heart is blooming.

Something like Thalictrum delavayi 'Hewitt's Double' or Thalictrum rochebrunianum blooms later in the year, so perhaps one of those might work better.

What do you think?

Sharon

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus