SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trovesoftrilliums

Thoughts on planning a new bed & dealing with my blob

trovesoftrilliums
10 years ago

I have a bit of a mess going on in my side yard, the sunniest part of my yard. It started off 3.5 years ago as a large cutting garden and DH tilled up a big rectangular area for me. I stopped growing for markets last year. I vowed to make it look less like a rectangular blob and more like a garden with pathways, shrubs, structure and interest. I didn't get very far and instead still grew a lot of annuals.

In the back my husband fenced in an area against deer which has been fantastic although it is funny to have to grow my tulips and lilies in such captivity. Still, I am glad I can grow them. That area already had 12 peonies in it, so I'd like to reposition the peonies to my side yard.

My soil is very poorly draining clay. I cannot grow peonies on the side of the yard near the storm drain as they get water logged. We have amended the soil, tilled, mulched, etc, but it is still horrendous and poorly draining. The yard slopes away from the house towards the drain. It also slopes away from the sidewalk although the picture doesn't represent this well.

All of this has led me to conclud that I should build a NEW bed primarily for my peonies. parallel to the sidewalk with impeccable soil conditions crafted especially for my plants. :) I can also add in the perennials growing in part of my rectangular blob. Then, the blob will be free of plants and it will be easier to plan on retaining walls and pathways in that area. I may even reduce the amount of garden space in the blob....but the thought of reseeding grass makes me sad. I am thinking if trying wide stepping stone paths with ground cover growing. I would like to have a series of short stone retaining walls as the garden slopes down toward the drain.

Here is a picture from my upstairs window. The grassy area is about 50 ft by 25 ft. I am thinking of a bed about 4 or 5 feet from the sidewalk, 12-15 ft long, at least 5 ft wide (and up to 8 or 10 ft wide in places), with a curve inside toward the grass. We would probably hire someone to build a retaining wall in order to actually get it completed this season. The retaining wall would be highest at the end near the drain and taper into the ground as it reaches the house.

Any thoughts on the new bed or on what to do with mt huge rectangular blob? Btw: we have brought in a lot of mulch to cover wooded area behind the house which is why there is the odd mulch edge. I plan on giving that a cleaner look and also need a path from the driveway to the back yard.

This post was edited by trovesoftrilliums on Sun, May 12, 13 at 14:47

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting