SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bev_w

WANTED: catalogue order split & swap? What do you think?

bev_w
17 years ago

While browsing (again) my Vesey's, Wm. Dam and Stokes catalogues I had an idea. Why not arrange trades in advance from our 2007 catalogue orders? The idea is to order knowing that you're going to split the seeds 50-50 with a trading partner, who is doing the same for you. It's a variation of a bulk order, but we don't need to order bulk quantities. .

I can see several advantages to order splitting:

- we get named varieties

- we get fresh seed

- we can save money by taking advantage of the catalogue "volume discounts", especially with expensive seed (for example: 10 seeds for $4 ; 50 for $10)

- we may be encouraged to make larger orders (knowing that they'll be "doubled" through trades) and thereby qualify for free-shipping specials (i.e. Stokes $50 minimum, Vesey's $25, etc.)

- - we put the entire seed packet to good use right away-- less waste, less stale seed. Seed packets often contain far too many seeds to use (or trade!) within a few years. I'm not comfortable trading seeds that are more than a few years old. This way we can keep realistic "trial" quantities and the rest don't get wasted.

The details are a little sketchy-- perhaps some of you can refine these ideas and we can come up with a workable plan.

Here's how it might work:

1. Fiona and Phineas (along with other traders) post thier various proposed catalogue orders to a GW thread. Lists include vendor name (i.e. Veseys, T & M, Gardens North), the packet price and the number of seeds per packet.

2. Fiona decides she wants five items from Phineas' list. Fiona adds up the retail value of these seeds. She proposes a trade. Phineas looks at Fiona's list and, if he decides he's interested, chooses items that amount to roughly the same value of the seeds Fiona has chosen.

3. Fiona and Phineas agree on a trade, and go ahead make their orders to the seed houses.

4. When orders arrive, each splits (in half) the packets to be shared, and mails them off to the trading partner.

- arrangements can be made off-the-board, and when seeds on lists become "spoken for", traders can post a "list closed" notice

- "equal value" can be set at plus or minus 50 cents, or some other mutually agreed number

- this type of honour system probably involves a higher degree of risk than regular trades, because the seeds may be of higher value. But if you were going to purchase the seeds anyway, the risk is about the same.

- traders should do their research first, so they are ordering the "best value"-- prices for identical seed varieties vary widely

What do you think? Is this a harebrained ideas or would anyone like to try it? Have I completely forgotten something-- some crucial detail that will make the whole system a flop?

I'm looking forward to your feedback and ideas. If enough people want to go ahead, I'll start a new thread for shopping lists...

Bev

Comments (6)

Sponsored
More Discussions