SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
simplton_gw

Help me ID this flower

simplton
16 years ago

I got this as a bonus and can't remeber who sent it. It was labelled Bohemia After Dark. Sorry today is a rainy day. Maybe I need to post anther pic when it is not raining. Two flowers are blooming today.

{{gwi:719426}}

{{gwi:719429}}

Comments (22)

• ladylovingdove
    16 years ago

I haven't a clue, and it looks like you've got some of that thar thrip damage.

• jkunkel
    16 years ago

wade,
    I think it looks like All American Magic. Not sure though. How can you tell if there is thirp damage?

• jkunkel
    16 years ago

Is this close?
    {{gwi:719431}}
    Hope this helps, not sure if this is it or not, my closest guess.

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

THis is Ellie's Daylilies pic of BAD:

{{gwi:719435}}

• simplton
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the help guys. I used to grow AAM. All American Magic has wide overlapping petals and a flesh eye, while this eye is grayish and narrower petals. This is also a smaller flower by a tad. And has norrower sepals which make it look like a northern intro.

Bohemia After Dark is supposed to be a blacker flower I think. My guess is that it might be a Hanson or something from the northern half. It sure is hard to ID a flower. A long shot for sure.

• mizellie
    16 years ago

Not this Ellie for those of you are thinking that it's mine ( BAD )

Wade, I have been racking my poor little brain and can't come up with anything. I think it will improve, won't it or is this and older one like from lasy year?....Ellie

• bluenosens
    16 years ago

Could it be Elizabeths Magic, a Salter I have on order for early June? Just a guess.....lloyd

• simplton
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I really appreciate the help. I think it may be a while before i figure it out. I got the plant last September so it is blooming true. The flower is too small and narrow-sepaled to be a Florida cultivar I think. It is barely 5", and I don't think the petals get much wider.

I may be way offbase but I dont recall narrow sepals that much. Then again, I am lost here. From now on I keep track of where I get everything, even the freebies.

• katlynn719
    16 years ago

Could it be Sea Urchin? Check out the middle pic at Tinkers.
    Kathy

• francyquebec
    16 years ago

I think it could be David Kirchhoff...

Francyne

Here is a link that might be useful: David Kirchhoff daylily

• wildflower
    16 years ago

My guess is the same as Francyne's... Here's a pic of my DK from last year:

• simplton
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sea Urchin is the closest so far. Wildflower, I have grown DK for many years and that pic is not DK. DK has a huge bright gold edge and large goldish eye. I don't want to start problems, but not a chance is that DK. Maybe we got that flower from the same seller.

• wildflower
    16 years ago

Simplton, I've sorta wondered if mine was actually DK. Whatever it is it sure reminded me of the one you have (except for the differece in lighting in our pics). I traded for it and some others about 3 1/2 years ago and figured out later that the most of the others are probably TC. Wasn't sure about this one because every pic I've ever found for DK looks completely different to me. I got the one fan way back when and it's finally mutiplied into 2 after all this time. First bloom was last year. Guess I'll move it out to be with the other unknown ID's...

• katlynn719
    16 years ago

I don't grow Sea Urchin, but I saw it this morning for sale on the LA and it reminded me of your unknown. I do grow DK. This pic of DK was taken last week -
    {{gwi:719439}}
    Kathy

• simplton
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I used to have a good pic of DK, but not anymore. That last pic does look like my unknown, but it is still not accurate for DK. The true DK has a pure saturated color with a huge edge, and the eye is large and yellow...not grayish. So, here is what I am leaning towards. I think it was TC'd and now there is a ton of it going around. The true DK is a beautiful flawless flower...nothing like what we show here. My angle might seem extreme but I see a pattern here, and I am very familiar with DK.

• numama
    16 years ago

Does not look like SPINY SEA URCHIN to me! But will think about it as I'm in the garden to see if I can give a guess later.
    Nancy
    Here's a pic of SPINY SEA URCHIN in my garden

• simplton
    Original Author
    16 years ago

there is a non-spiny version too, although I think they should all be spiny.

• dayliliesrus
    16 years ago

Sea Urchin is a Munson CV. Spiny Sea Urchin is the toothy one you have Nancy. Sea Urchin would look good with a few spines though!!

• numama
    16 years ago

MY BAD....I'm still so tired from my Mecca trip and all the things I've yet to get done, didn't read close enough.
    My best guesses for you Wade are:
    Arabian Magic
    Chris Salter
    Magic Filigree

Nancy

• daylilydayzed
    16 years ago

It definitely is not Sea Urchin.

• simplton
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It bloomed slightly darker today. I know I have seen this flower before. I think it is a Salter or Munson. Maybe magic Filagree. I am sure it is not Arabian Magic, All American Magic, Chris Salter, and David Kirchoff because I have grown them. Here is latest pic:

• dayliliesrus
    16 years ago

Bill Munson perhaps?

I think it is either a Salter or out of a Salter. I have alot of Munsons and it really does not resemble any of them except a Wimberlyway Roseville which is a fairly uncommon Munson and I do not believe your bloom is as big as WR is. Salters plants has alot of Munson influence because of the family background. That is where I would start.