SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcsteg

Pinus thunbergii 'Thunderhead' photo gallery.

dcsteg
12 years ago

I have seen the cultivar name sold both ways: 'Angelica's Thunderhead' or 'Thunderhead'.

I purchased mine as 'Angelica's Thunderhead'.

According to van Geleren and van Hoey Smith (1996) this cultivar was introduced by John Vermeulen, New Jersey; and Jacobson (1996) states that it was selected by William Devine of Angelica nursery of Kennedyville, Maryland.

(Distinctive

characteristics.) Named for it's long clusters of silver-white buds that develop during the spring, Pinus thunbergii 'Thunderhead' is a beautiful specimen in any garden setting. The needles are a dark green color, heavy in texture and are very plentiful. This dwarf has a broad habit growing to about 5' wide by 4' high in ten to fifteen years.

As with most Pinus thunbergii it is hardy to Zone 5 although the needles could burn at temperatures of -10? to -15? F. Especially vulnerable during times of wide and rapid temperature fluctuation. If possible winter protection from the effects of wind chill could greatly increase your odds on having this specimen in your garden.

I had a difficult time getting mine established here in Kansas City. Rapid temperature changes and high heat and humidity took its toll. It took about 4 years to dig in and establish itself.

Dave

{{gwi:643423}}

Comments (10)